Training the Swing-No Swing Decision

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm not sure that's correct, and it certainly doesn't make sense. If I'm running this correctly, there have been 80,236 first pitches that are foul, called strike, in play, swinging strike. 4644 hits and 10801 whiffs for a .327 BA. 42.2 HardHit%
I'm not a statistician and math makes my head hurt. My common sense tells me that a .327 batting average is about 1 hit for every 3 at bats, and 80,236 first pitches should mean the same number of at bats, that should be around 26,000 hits, not 4644. But, as my Grandpa used to say 'there are three kinds of people in the world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.'

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The problem is not mental, or swing-no swing...

With the pitching machine cranked up so fast and close - nobody is striding. They are just throwing their hands at the ball. Very, very bad.

The problem is they do not know WHEN to stride. Is anyone teaching them this? Or are you actually teaching them not to stride?

You must begin the stride when the ball leaves the pitchers hand (or even earlier at 12 oclock). Are you teaching this? The pitch takes 0.400 secs, the swing takes 0.200 secs, so the front foot must be down when the ball is halfway. Most kids wait until they think the pitch is a strike, then they are dead.

So, this means that for every pitch, the batter must have moved (finished their stride) ESPECIALLY on bad pitches. [Watch them]

So, when using an L screen, randomly hold the ball. If the hitter didnt move, then yell at them. :)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Interesting discussion. Every hitting discussion, lesson, advice of mine always includes some words about the importance of discipline at the plate.
Mine would be almost polar opposite. In my experience I see way more tentative, let me make sure its a strike type players that need to fully understand and embrace the yes, yes, yes mentality. Remember this guy. The announcers use to say" from the nose to the toes, anything goes."

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The problem is not mental, or swing-no swing...

With the pitching machine cranked up so fast and close - nobody is striding. They are just throwing their hands at the ball. Very, very bad.

The problem is they do not know WHEN to stride. Is anyone teaching them this? Or are you actually teaching them not to stride?

You must begin the stride when the ball leaves the pitchers hand (or even earlier at 12 oclock). Are you teaching this? The pitch takes 0.400 secs, the swing takes 0.200 secs, so the front foot must be down when the ball is halfway. Most kids wait until they think the pitch is a strike, then they are dead.

So, this means that for every pitch, the batter must have moved (finished their stride) ESPECIALLY on bad pitches. [Watch them]

So, when using an L screen, randomly hold the ball. If the hitter didnt move, then yell at them. :)
Here is a good example of what efastball is talking about. Early, relaxed and not rushed, smooooth operator. Video is also good for learning about a positive, confident mindset.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Of course they're striding!! 11 and 12 year old kids are not hitting high 50's fastballs from 35ft without some kind of timing mechanism. They are stepping when the coach starts to drop the ball into the machine. The problem is that 90% of the pitches are belt high, same location, same speed, for the brain there is no decision involved, they can make the same swing at every pitch and make good contact. That does not transfer to real game situations where pitch velocity and trajectory must be calculated for a point of contact before a swing can be fully launched.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Of course they're striding!! 11 and 12 year old kids are not hitting high 50's fastballs from 35ft without some kind of timing mechanism. They are stepping when the coach starts to drop the ball into the machine. The problem is that 90% of the pitches are belt high, same location, same speed, for the brain there is no decision involved, they can make the same swing at every pitch and make good contact. That does not transfer to real game situations where pitch velocity and trajectory must be calculated for a point of contact before a swing can be fully launched.
You want pitching machine mentality. A mindset that you are going to swing.
Try this. When feeding machine, after player has hit 4 or 5 in a row. Unplug machine or slow it down 7 or 8 mph with player knowing. See what happens. Good players won't swing. Their subconscious puts the brakes on. The pitch is too fast to consciously try to make a decision.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Of course they're striding!! 11 and 12 year old kids are not hitting high 50's fastballs from 35ft without some kind of timing mechanism. They are stepping when the coach starts to drop the ball into the machine.
I have never seen this happen. Video the next hitting session, then see if they are doing a real stride. 99% of time it's no stride or they don't even pick up their knee.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Mine would be almost polar opposite. In my experience I see way more tentative, let me make sure its a strike type players that need to fully understand and embrace the yes, yes, yes mentality. Remember this guy. The announcers use to say" from the nose to the toes, anything goes."

I agree. But, I am teaching beginning hitters to show some discipline when balls are obviously not hittable. Be aggressive, sure, but be smart, as well. I like 2-0 way better than 0-2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalWood1013