Leaving the base early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
This is probably the bottom line. Any lead that would give the runner a huge advantage will most likely be seen. I understand @softgabby point about catchers being at a disadvantage if they lose even half a second, but when the fastest 60 times are close to three seconds, getting ahead by a half second is like 15% of the distance. That’s a big lead.
This exactly. I don't care if a baserunner takes a couple of steps off their base. If they go as the pitcher is getting ready to release the ball, I think that's fair. Its these ones who get huge leads or goes just as the pitcher starts her windup that I take issue with. I don't see it so much where I play in college and I didn't see it during travel season or during high school. But 15% of the distance is huge...especially when the best catchers need a second and a half to 1.7 seconds to make the necessary throw.

I like @PapaBear solution of having a loud conversation. C or 1B should call a timeout, meet in the middle, and confer loudly that the runner is leaving early, be ready for a pick. That will either put the breaks on, or maybe even influence the umpire to make an out call on the pick if players handled the situation themselves and he thinks the runner is trying to take advantage of him (or her).
I think this is a good idea, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom