Leaving team after 6weeks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2023
Preface by saying I have read through other “quitting posts” and not found answers.

First year 12u player same organization last year in 10u (strongest player on that team) considering leaving new team after 6 weeks. Short story long is that we were considering 4 teams after last season because it want the best experience. DD had fun but didn’t learn much as team was very young and didn’t move much in tourneys. We spoke to coach (new to team this year but not to organization) before accepting offer this year and were told she would get circle time and that coach expected to play everyone in all positions. DD is a pitcher and plays well at all infield positions but especially corners.

Fast forward and after three fall league games and 5 practices coach seems to have decided that she knows where everyone should be playing even though some players have not played more than one position. She has started the same two pitchers in all games (they get two innings each) and then brings in either my daughter or one other first year to pitch one inning. Same players have played third base and as in every game. Also is playing all the young players in the outfield only at both games and practices and has them all batting at the end of the order even though one of them leaded the team in avg and obp.

We have multiple teams after her and especially one where she would be the starting pitcher and when not would get to play SS and third. This team will not be nearly as skilled and play less than the other team but she would at least get to play where she wants and develop at her other positions.

My fear is that she will lose interest in softball if this continues. She has made comments about not being able to pitch and only playing in outfield already but is having fun so far.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Be careful about what you ask for. How long will she want to pitch when this less-skilled team can't field a ball and get outs? How much fun will she have if her team is losing? Do you know how these other coaching staffs run practices or do their business on the field?

Jul 6, 2023
Agree for sure. Last year was that situation and even though it was frustrating at least she got valuable in game experience. I know the coaching staff for other club very well and they are beloved in the softball community.

Jul 6, 2023
if money is not an issue I would sit down and discuss with your DD. You can state your opinion of the positive and negatives, she should state hers. Let her decide. Never had an Issue with players jumping Teams, still rooted for them.
Thank you for your insight. I like this idea. We are going to give it two more weeks as we will have at least 6 games in that time and two practices. If nothing changes it’ll be a giveaway that this is how it will be in the spring as well and we will have the talk. Thanks again!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
What kind of team is this? Are y'all playing tournaments or is this a league? Doesn't seem like you guys are playing enough games. I would stay with this team until the fall season is over. You committed to this team, you should stay with it until your commitment is over. When the season is over, thank the coach for the opportunity and let them know you will be leaving. Keep it short and to the point.

In the meantime, have your DD practice with this other team to get a gauge how the coach runs that team.

May 13, 2023
Your daughter who is a pitcher is on a team with FOUR pitchers and it appears two of them are the starters.
Being a pitcher will generally always be a challenge to be #1, 2, 3, 4 Etc.
That may be a conversation to have with your daughter about the challenge of being a pitcher.

after three fall league games and 5 practices coach seems to have decided that she knows where everyone should be playing even though some players have not played more than one position
' coach seems to have decided'
? So you are already considering leaving the team yet haven't had another conversation with the coach after joining the team? At this point it is your assumption 🤷‍♀️

Preface by saying I have read through other “quitting posts” and not found answers.
?Did you find any other post that said talk to the coach again? Now you have some insight to start that conversation with the coach.

First year 12u player same organization last year in 10u (strongest player on that team)
This comment while may have been important to you on the last young team she played with is irrelevant now... because it is not reflecting comparing to the players on the team she is currently with.
We have multiple teams after her and especially one where she would be the starting pitcher and when not would get to play SS and third.
If you are going to be influenced by what another coach says trying to poach your daughter from the team she is already on that in itself will create shtuff. And you will be continually going through shtuff if you let that affect you. Poachers will be poachers.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
( some general feedback to anybody going through decision making of teams)

About talent and playing time~
It is difficult for people on a website to make an assessment without seeing what other pitchers look like and what a posters daughter pitcher looks like. Along with that what the rest of the team looks like compared to what a posters daughter looks like.

And then this~
One of the top three contributors to parental dissatisfaction is parents assessment of players Talent on the field a lot of times has parent goggles on.
(Aka- incorrect assessment of dd and other Talent on the field)

This is why I say ask yourself what type of situation you will be comfortable with. And ask your daughter what she wants to do.
1. Be challenged earn a spot.
2. Be on a lower level team where she is one of the favorites.
3. Be on a team that's focused on winning which may mean she won't get as much playing time as others. But have a more winning experience.
4. Be on a team that may not win very often but is focused on developing all of the players. Where may get to play the same amount as other players. Still maybe not at the position you would prefer all the time because that is difficult on this type of team.

➡️Remember that most of the time you cannot have everything the way you want it.
➡️Would also consider how good the practices are and if she's developing there.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023
Should do what makes your DD happy. One thing i'll stress though is you are not going to find many club teams that will let a starting pitcher also play SS. Especially not for a more competitive team. End of the day it's your dollar, spend it how you will.
It’s not short stop in particular, in fact she prefers the corners or second, it’s the fact that coach hasn’t let any of the younger girls even try them in practice which is what was promised at the outset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles