Going from 33/23 to 33/25 ... Is that too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Daughter is age 15, 5-8, 130, average strength for size.

What are people's thoughts on going heavier w/ the bat? Does 2 ounces seem drastic? Is that outside the norm for a player this size/age?

Oct 10, 2011
2 ounces

I wouldn't jump 2 ounces if it were me. If she is seeing slower pitching maybe but most girls I see are swinging -10 or -9 at 18u. One of our best hitters who got a D1 scholarship was swinging a 33 - 9 and weighed 225. DD is swinging a 25 oz but she is much heavier than your DD and is really strong (loves weight lifting). She was swinging a 24 oz before.

A drop -8 is a whole lot of bat for a 130 lb girl.

It also depends on what bat, as well. Getting her a -8 Easton is a helluva lot different than getting her a -8 LXT or CF7.

One of the things that many of the women whom I've coached over the years who come back to visit or help coach after college tell me is that the thing they regret most about college ball is going to a -8 bat on their coach's orders rather than staying with a -9 or even a -10. Same thing is said about going to a 34" bat over their preferred 33" bat. I can assure you these women do not weigh 130 lbs, either. ;)

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Just curious why does she want to go up in weight?

It's the theory that you should use the heaviest bat that you can comfortably swing. She's been swinging 23 for over a year and is now much stronger. Remains to be seen if she will comfortably swing that extra ounce or two.
Local D1 school coach has his team swing no higher than a 24oz. His record has been very good since he arrived.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD is 5'-10", 160 lbs, is pretty muscular and she swings a 33/23. You do not need a -8 bat to hit home runs and I would love to know what kind of pitching your DD is seeing. Most girls I know who weigh 130 would never get a 25 oz bat around on a 65 MPH pitch.

Sep 30, 2013
Daughter is age 15, 5-8, 130, average strength for size.

What are people's thoughts on going heavier w/ the bat? Does 2 ounces seem drastic? Is that outside the norm for a player this size/age?

It only swings heavier if the balance is exactly the same. If the balance is shifted toward the knob, it’s possible the swing weight with the additional 2 oz is less.

Being a baseball guy, I wouldn’t know the answer to this question, so I’ll ask it here. Do SB hitters hit with wood in practice like BB players often do? If so, very often the “woodie” weighs more and is much more “end weighted”, but the expurts and gooroos keep advocating to practice with wood.

In short, I’d have to see how that 2oz is distributed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom