Dealing with high school coaches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The opinion about this will vary dramatically depending on the success of the team, and the attitude of the coach.
How about every few years the AD take interviews for the position. My friends kids HS coach has been in her position for over 20 years and legend has it nobody has ever liked her. LOL Her AC just quit mid season.

Dec 15, 2021
First step is to have your daughter ask the coach what she can do to earn more playing time. Get a response and go from there. Nothing can be done until your daughter asks that question....regardless if the coach has said in the past there are no conversations about it, your daughter should be allowed to ask that question. What's the worst that can happen? You'll need to at least have that conversation in order to take it to the next step of the coach or maybe even the AD.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Now before the season even started, before they even practiced the coach told the team at their first meeting that she already had the starting line up set and that no one is allowed to talk to her about playing time, and she won't even respond to or talk to parents if they ask.

This coach sounds clueless, but she's 100% right about not talking to parents about playing time.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
HS coaches need term limits.

Great way to fold a bunch of teams when there's nobody else who wants to do it.

I've had about a half dozen games canceled in baseball/softball this year because teams couldn't find coaches.

I put up an ad for a paid JV coaching position in the fall and got exactly zero responses. When I did the same for girls basketball, I got half a dozen in a day.

I imagine it's very easy to find great coaches in some places and impossible to find a warm body in others, and a bad coach (and this coach seems bad, but at least attentive/trying and not just there for a check) is usually better than none at all.

Aug 25, 2019
What's with all this "talk to the AD" stuff?........Put yourself in the AD's shoes, and this parent comes into your office......"this is ridiculous, my freshman DD is not playing varsity and she's better than the coaches DD and she's better than this and that player and DD is the best player on her travel team" What would you say as AD?.......Are you gonna say "You are absolutely right sir, I'll have your DD placed on varsity and I'll look to fire my long time coach" If I was the AD, I'd say, ummm, talk to the coach, and you'll say, the coach won't talk to me, then I'd say, well that's unfortunate, get out of my office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802