How many days a week is a college pitcher going to pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
DD has found a way to make the Freshman feel welcome by inviting them to Frat parties and baseball parties. The events should count as a softball activity right--Side work perhaps?
What! College athletes attend parties? At least none of them would ever drink. 🍻

Feb 7, 2014
And BTW, DD was having some knee pain last spring and the trainer set up some Dr. appt's DD said the school is taking care of it. Oh! How nice! Little did I know I would start getting outrageous statements from the Dr. office. $1000's! WTH! Had to email the trainer and ask him what is going on with this. Oh our deductible is $5K and she hasn't met that yet. Dude! Now I gotta get my insurance involved. Next time, I will handle it myself.

Can you explain the insurance aspect... I just assumed the university's would be responsible for those costs?

Jun 7, 2020
When we were waiting on our game to start a year or 2 ago I was talking to a coach. The coach has coached for the college for about a decade. Idk what level but not very high. The teams always produce great players. Anyways the pitchers pitch everyday in practice. Either to live hitters or in bullpen. There are about 4 pitchers on the team. The each pitch 100 pitches per day. If it's a practice day you pitch no matter what. So they may pitch 5 or 6 days a week.

May 23, 2018
I know the number will vary. But I am trying to figure out if what I am seeing is in the ballpark.

My daughter is a freshman pitcher in college. I knew her pitching workload was going to increase in college, but I am shocked at how much pitching she is doing. I am trying to gauge if I am overly concerned, or if her coach is a little aggressive in practices.

D-II. They are in their fall season. She pitched 5 innings last Sunday in a game. She was off Monday. She will pitch Tuesday - Friday in practices (2 of those days will be bullpen. The other two will be to live hitters). She then has double header games on Saturday and Sunday. She will pitch in at least two of those games probably 5 or so innings each. So in all, this stretch will be 7 out of 8 days. (I thought they got two days off in the fall, but that is for another time).

If she got the Friday off before the double headers, I don't think the concern level would be so high.

All the pitchers have this schedule for the fall.
That's normal for D1 and D2. In addition to that, there is weight training 5 days a week.

Jul 27, 2015
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like nothing unusual is happening.

She is now done with the fall season. Her speed was down 1-2 mph the last game. I think she was just arm tired. She will need to get her endurance up for the spring season.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yeah, D3 is lame.
16 practice days with the coaches and 21 innings allowed. For the entire Fall.

Then 3-1/2 months off until Spring season.

Seems like a recipe for injury.
It really isn't.

DD does something softball related 6 of 7 days during the fall season - there are just no coach-led team practices. They are in the weight room/gym 3-4 times per week, and most are on the field/inside the gym doing skills work 2-3 times a week on their own or in small groups. A few girls are on a second varsity squad or are playing some other club sport/activity. DD was always fit; I don't think I have seen her in such good shape as after her first semester in college.

Some are not doing as much; they will learn quickly that they will not get to play if they are not ready when the season starts.

The only real difference is that there are just not the amount of games you get used to playing in travel,.

Jul 31, 2015
It really isn't.

DD does something softball related 6 of 7 days during the fall season - there are just no coach-led team practices. They are in the weight room/gym 3-4 times per week, and most are on the field/inside the gym doing skills work 2-3 times a week on their own or in small groups. A few girls are on a second varsity squad or are playing some other club sport/activity. DD was always fit; I don't think I have seen her in such good shape as after her first semester in college.

Some are not doing as much; they will learn quickly that they will not get to play if they are not ready when the season starts.

The only real difference is that there are just not the amount of games you get used to playing in travel,.

It's lame.
The whole system is lame.

D3 is no exception.

"Student-athlete" is a farce.

For decades we've put up with the P5 colleges - under a fig leave called they call the NCAA - charading about "students" first, "athletes" second, as a way to promote amateurism. But hey, don't look over here - where 80% of the NCAA's budget comes from March Madness and the SEC signed a $3 BILLION contract with ESPN for viewing rights from 2021-2030. So, amateurism for the athletes, profits for the universities.

As Justice Kavanaugh wrote: "Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate".

And pay doesn't mean just salary, it means monetization of NIL, adequate representation, adequate access to healthcare for injuries sustained while playing, and a host of other things, including, in the case of D3, adequate staff and facilities to keep the athletes in good physical shape year round.

Because that is what high-level sports performance requires.
And D3 is high level sports performance.

Find me a collegiate student-athlete who doesn't value both of those roles equally, and I'll show you someone who's not going to play college sports for very long. Passion and desire does not break down by division, as much as we've been conditioned to believe it does --- even the NCAA acknowledge this, as the practice time limits for D1, D2, and D3 are quite similar.

What I'm saying is that, in every division, college athletes should be afforded adequate practice time and adequate study time, year round, because that's what a high level of sports performance requires. There shouldn't be such things as captains practices, 'optional' 6am lifts, 'optional' cage sessions that get around the restrictions, etc. The fact that these things are so widely used shows that the system is broken.

It is indeed, lame.

Also, last time I looked, coaches are university employees who seem to lose their jobs quickly if they don't consistently win. That is as true in D3 softball as in P5/D1 football.

The NCAA system is centered around giving athletes the minimum, while requiring them to work their maximum, with all the profits flowing back to the university and none to the athletes. This unfair and imbalanced system presents itself in a myriad of ways. It's not just D1 football/basketball. The entire system is broken.

Jun 27, 2018
It really isn't.

What is a second varsity squad exactly? Is it comparable to a JV squad? If so, why not just call it JV. I saw my DD’s spring schedule already and I see some games labeled V and some V2. But they are still one squad, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478