How many days a week is a college pitcher going to pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
You replied much more nicely than I would have to the very ignorant "D3 is lame" comment. Thank you for that. Everything you said is spot on. I would add that, while it varies from school to school, the "off season" after the short fall ball period still includes a regular and heavy dose of weight room work and overall strength and conditioning. May not be organized softball activities, but it is hardly "3 1/2 months off until the Spring season".

It's lame.
The whole system is lame.

D3 is no exception.

"Student-athlete" is a farce.

For decades we've put up with the P5 colleges - under a fig leave called they call the NCAA - charading about "students" first, "athletes" second, as a way to promote amateurism. But hey, don't look over here - where 80% of the NCAA's budget comes from March Madness and the SEC signed a $3 BILLION contract with ESPN for viewing rights from 2021-2030. So, amateurism for the athletes, profits for the universities.

As Justice Kavanaugh wrote: "Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate".

And pay doesn't mean just salary, it means monetization of NIL, adequate representation, adequate access to healthcare for injuries sustained while playing, and a host of other things, including, in the case of D3, adequate staff and facilities to keep the athletes in good physical shape year round.

Because that is what high-level sports performance requires.
And D3 is high level sports performance.

Find me a collegiate student-athlete who doesn't value both of those roles equally, and I'll show you someone who's not going to play college sports for very long. Passion and desire does not break down by division, as much as we've been conditioned to believe it does --- even the NCAA acknowledge this, as the practice time limits for D1, D2, and D3 are quite similar.

What I'm saying is that, in every division, college athletes should be afforded adequate practice time and adequate study time, year round, because that's what a high level of sports performance requires. There shouldn't be such things as captains practices, 'optional' 6am lifts, 'optional' cage sessions that get around the restrictions, etc. The fact that these things are so widely used shows that the system is broken.

It is indeed, lame.

Also, last time I looked, coaches are university employees who seem to lose their jobs quickly if they don't consistently win. That is as true in D3 softball as in P5/D1 football.

The NCAA system is centered around giving athletes the minimum, while requiring them to work their maximum, with all the profits flowing back to the university and none to the athletes. This unfair and imbalanced system presents itself in a myriad of ways. It's not just D1 football/basketball. The entire system is broken.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah, D3 is lame.
16 practice days with the coaches and 21 innings allowed. For the entire Fall.

Then 3-1/2 months off until Spring season.

Seems like a recipe for injury.
They are practicing but it's purely voluntary. DD has been practicing just about every day since the 2nd week of class, and tells the players that she'll be there for those that "want" to be there. She also tells the pitchers that the catchers are ready and willing to catch bull pens. Not all are that interested. The message the coach sends: Be ready to go 100% when I get there. Meaning no one should be sore or taking it easy at the first practice which started on Monday. Should be interesting to see their 2-10 inning double header in a few weeks.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
And BTW, DD was having some knee pain last spring and the trainer set up some Dr. appt's DD said the school is taking care of it. Oh! How nice! Little did I know I would start getting outrageous statements from the Dr. office. $1000's! WTH! Had to email the trainer and ask him what is going on with this. Oh our deductible is $5K and she hasn't met that yet. Dude! Now I gotta get my insurance involved. Next time, I will handle it myself.

Dec 6, 2019
My daughter is a freshman at a D3. If she's been on campus 40 days so far, there have maybe been 4 that she has not had some softball related activity--official practice, captains' practice, strength and conditioning, side work, etc.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My daughter is a freshman at a D3. If she's been on campus 40 days so far, there have maybe been 4 that she has not had some softball related activity--official practice, captains' practice, strength and conditioning, side work, etc.
DD has found a way to make the Freshman feel welcome by inviting them to Frat parties and baseball parties. The events should count as a softball activity right--Side work perhaps?

Feb 1, 2021
And BTW, DD was having some knee pain last spring and the trainer set up some Dr. appt's DD said the school is taking care of it. Oh! How nice! Little did I know I would start getting outrageous statements from the Dr. office. $1000's! WTH! Had to email the trainer and ask him what is going on with this. Oh our deductible is $5K and she hasn't met that yet. Dude! Now I gotta get my insurance involved. Next time, I will handle it myself.
I played soccer and ran cross country at the D2 level back in the late 90s. I broke my foot in soccer and I didn't pay a dime back then. I even got a HUGE sample box of individually wrapped Vicodin on my way out of the Ortho. I was like, 'I'm going to drive slow going home or else I could go to jail for possessing this much product'.

ps-I'm a rule follower. I took may a handful and tossed the rest in the trash.

Jul 27, 2015
There are college freshman all over the country reading this thread and saying “wait, freshman get to pitch in actual games?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
99% of the pitching innings last season graduated this past spring. My daughter has pitched a ton this fall and has looked extremely good.

Aug 19, 2012
Have a DD in her sophomore year playing D2. They basically throw 6 days a week. They throw a ton of live and BP and scrimmage quite regularly. She loves it and quite frankly this summer at travel ball she always threw best the second day after a good session or games the day before. She got a lot better last season and definitely gained a lot of strength from the extensive lifting.

Nov 18, 2013
Zero to four appearances would be about average. It can depend on time of year, depth of the staff and where she fits in the staff. Starters might have fewer appearances if the coach finds a couple pitchers they like using in relief. Early season they’ll have more games and coaches tend to let more pitchers see the circle. During conference play the games are more important and they’ll turn more toward pitchers they know they can rely on. Sorry I can’t give much of a definitive answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812