Dealing with high school coaches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
If the high school skipped practice for every MS game I'd question. but 1 time, yes, you are over analyzing due to your emotions.

Jun 8, 2016
Update:. The day after getting embarrassed in a loss 12-1, with 6 errors, 3 by the coaches daughter (who finally she decided didn't deserve to hit). I pull up to practice to pick up my daughter and the entire Varsity and JV team are sitting in the grass watching the middle school game! As it turns out they practiced for 45 minutes and spent the remaining hour watching the middle school play. The coach said, "it's important to support them"

I get it, these kids will eventually be playing in high school etc. But after such a terrible loss, I would expect them to have been working on the things they were deficient on in the last game.

Is this ridiculous or am I just being over analyzing due to my emotions?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
Sometimes after a bad game it is better to just "throw away the tape" and move on. Maybe this was this coach's attempt at doing that..

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My DD didn't make varsity as a freshman. Within a year, she was committed to a D-I program, so yes, she certainly had reason to believe she was one of the best 12 or even 9 players in the school, whether she was or not. But that's life. You can't choose whether you start on varsity, or get a promotion at work, or get the job you want, or the boyfriend/girlfriend that you fancy, but you can choose your attitude about what life deals you. It's a good lesson for her to learn that sometimes the boss isn't going to see it the way the employee/student/etc. will see it, and just because you're the best candidate for something doesn't mean you're entitled to it. It's just high school softball. Go have fun dominating JV and don't worry about what you can't control.

May 17, 2012
I can't imagine that an AD is going to do anything unless there are allegations of abuse of misconduct. That would open up the AD to second-guessing and parent complaints for 20+ sports.

I think with the AD your complaint is very specific, nepotism. That's why I mentioned not referring to anything else. Who knows maybe someone else made a similar complaint.

Dec 30, 2011
If your daughter and you want to be a part of the softball program at this school then I suggest you learn to play the horrid political game that comes with high school softball. Whether at varsity or jv just do your best to improve and support the program. Learn to pretend to support the program even if you find it difficult. There isn't much hope of changing things at this point in a long coaching career. The best approach is to work hard everyday to improve even more, especially at hitting. Get so good that no coach can afford to sit you. Use your time at the jv level to become the very best you can be at all aspects of the game, especially hitting. No coach can stand to sit a good hitter. Work every day. There is always room for improvement. Force that coach to play you. Stay the course. Don't get upset. Focus on the longer term goal. Succeeding in that is the best reward of all.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I think with the AD your complaint is very specific, nepotism. That's why I mentioned not referring to anything else. Who knows maybe someone else made a similar complaint.

Fair point. I doubt it would lead to anything positive, but at least there's the argument for an ethical violation.

Oct 14, 2019
Coach’s DD is a sophomore so coach will be there at least another 2 years after this one. Only thing to do is to work on LF, RF and pitching. Any complaints that coach is favoring her DD over yours will likely result in your DD getting very little playing time over her high school career.

Oct 10, 2018
Does JV have enough pitchers to spare your DD? My DD was put on modified and not put on JV (back up when/if needed) as they needed pitchers. A good catcher that used to play with my DD on travel was kept at JV her freshman year b/c they didn't have catchers. It might not have anything to do with your DD and be all about their roster needs.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Does JV have enough pitchers to spare your DD? My DD was put on modified and not put on JV (back up when/if needed) as they needed pitchers. A good catcher that used to play with my DD on travel was kept at JV her freshman year b/c they didn't have catchers. It might not have anything to do with your DD and be all about their roster needs.
Our varsity coach does not care about JV. Varsity is for winning - JV is for development. Varsity has 4 catchers - JV has 0. I imagine this is a common attitude.

Oct 3, 2019
Our varsity coach does not care about JV. Varsity is for winning - JV is for development. Varsity has 4 catchers - JV has 0. I imagine this is a common attitude.
I would think having your future players actually playing, will do more for their development, regardless of Varsity or JV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812