glove recommendation - mainly pitcher, 3B & 1B when infield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2021
She has been using Rawlings Shut Out basketweave 12.5” for the past 2 years. She uses Liberty Advanced 34” when catching. Tried on the Liberty Advanced 12” 1-piece solid web, Easton Ghost NX 12.5” basket web and Rawlings 12” double-laced basket web (liked the last the best, but didn’t like the mint green trim with grey lacing.)

@ANNASDAD ; - would you recommend the Rawlings PRO206-9HTG 12” or PROKB17HTG 12.25”?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
@uncdrew - I was wondering the same. At what age do softball players typically begin using a 1B mitt?

Yeah, I was going to ask her age. My DD played a lot of 1B (around her pitching) for the last several years. We only just got her a 1B glove in her last year of 12U ball. It is a bit stiffer than a normal glove, might need a bit more strength to close it. And until they're ready to learn and practice scooping the ball the 1B glove might not provide all that much help. Plenty of girls play 1B with their "regular" glove.

Feb 20, 2021
This summer is her last year of 12u. She is 5’11” and her fingers are fairly long but narrow - wears size medium women’s winter running gloves.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I prefer it when my daughter uses a 1B mitt at first. She's normally a pitcher, so her regular 12" glove will not cut it at first base. Despite what some other believe, the first base mitt is designed differently than a normal fielding glove.

If 1B is a secondary position, you don't need to go nuts on price. Also, the more you spend, the stiffer it will be and harder to break it in.

I'm happy to help get you a good deal on a new glove. Contact me at 631-942-3516.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
She has been using Rawlings Shut Out basketweave 12.5” for the past 2 years. She uses Liberty Advanced 34” when catching. Tried on the Liberty Advanced 12” 1-piece solid web, Easton Ghost NX 12.5” basket web and Rawlings 12” double-laced basket web (liked the last the best, but didn’t like the mint green trim with grey lacing.)

@ANNASDAD ; - would you recommend the Rawlings PRO206-9HTG 12” or PROKB17HTG 12.25”?

Thanks in advance!

Those last two Rawlings you ask AnnasDad about are a significant upgrade from the other 3 gloves your DD tried on!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Thanks in advance!
So are you asking me about these two gloves to cover all three positions you listed?

My first question *was* going to be age and size? 5’11” huh, wow! And Tatonka is right, the last two gloves shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence together with those others!

What level of play does she and her team play….and is this going be a long term thing for her, as in she’s in??
@uncdrew - I was wondering the same. At what age do softball players typically begin using a 1B mitt?

Upper 14U to 16U is where I started seeing the most girls with multiple gloves.

What’s her strongest and favorite position?

Feb 20, 2021
For now, I was hoping 1 glove for all (other than catcher.)
She has been playing town travel, and plans to play club next year.
Her coach plays her everywhere, including SS, but primarily pitcher and catcher last year. Pitcher and catcher are her favorites, but she’ll play wherever needed. Half her team is new this year - 4 pitchers and 2 catchers, so not sure where she’ll primarily play this summer.
I could see her staying with softball and basketball as long as she can, but she is 12, so who knows. She had 3 younger sisters, including a 10 year old sister who primarily plays the same 4 positions, so seems likely a nice glove wouldn’t be wasted. Worst case scenario, I nab it for myself if she stops playing. ;-).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13