Glove recommendation - help appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
He's like Beetlejuice. Say his name, and he appears.
Well, my “D”W once said she knew a guy who looked like me and when I asked her if he was good looking she said no and I don’t think she was kidding (to this she claims she didn’t mean it that but while I might be ugly, I ain’t stupid)….SOOO there may be a resemblance.

Nov 3, 2022
I am about to drive myself crazy deciding what glove to get my daughter (almost 11yo). She's been using a cheap 12in Easton from amazon for a couple years, and just earlier this year she discovered she loves softball so she has been doing lessons, and will be on her first travel team this fall. Her Easton seems so tiny when she is catching a ball (no matter where she is playing) but maybe that's just the glove. Sometimes the ball hits right in the glove and then falls back out.
For Rec she is one of the main pitchers, and then plays some 2B, 3B, or LF when not pitching. I doubt she will pitch on her travel team, more like 2B/3B or OF. I have had her try on several gloves but she just feels that they are all stiff (which is expected, as they are new) so can't really tell me which ones she likes best, though she did like the feel of a couple Rawlings better than mizuno. I'm debating what size she needs. If she ends up doing mostly OF on her travel team then I feel she needs a larger glove, but I think if I go too large she wouldn't be able to use it for pitching in Rec. And maybe she just needs 2 different ones.
I am thinking a 12, 12.25, or 12.5? And either HOH (which is what our son has and it's a great glove) or Liberty (so that it would be broken in by tournament time this fall).
Any input is greatly appreciated - I don't have much experience with softball (as is probably evident in my post ;D)
I might go in a different direction than A2000/HoH, here's why. i bought my DD an A2000 infielder's glove when she was about 12, maybe 13. it's a super stiff glove (most of the $300+ gloves are). as a young kid, it took her a long time to break it in, and honestly for a good chunk of a season, it really wasn't and she made some errors. then, when she did break it in, because her hands were so small, it created a bubble in the pocket, which made it a bit of an eject-o-mitt. later, age 15 maybe, she got a new A2000, and with bigger hands, and more intention to get it right, the glove is awesome.

my point is that i don't think a younger kid needs a $300 glove AND they will probably make more plays with a $100-150 glove, tbh. and she'll probably play multiple positions younger anyway so have 1 or 2 cheaper/more versatile gloves makes more sense. when she's older and more specialized, spring for the A2000/HoH. just one man's opinion/experience...

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I might go in a different direction than A2000/HoH, here's why. i bought my DD an A2000 infielder's glove when she was about 12, maybe 13. it's a super stiff glove (most of the $300+ gloves are). as a young kid, it took her a long time to break it in, and honestly for a good chunk of a season, it really wasn't and she made some errors. then, when she did break it in, because her hands were so small, it created a bubble in the pocket, which made it a bit of an eject-o-mitt. later, age 15 maybe, she got a new A2000, and with bigger hands, and more intention to get it right, the glove is awesome.

my point is that i don't think a younger kid needs a $300 glove AND they will probably make more plays with a $100-150 glove, tbh. and she'll probably play multiple positions younger anyway so have 1 or 2 cheaper/more versatile gloves makes more sense. when she's older and more specialized, spring for the A2000/HoH. just one man's opinion/experience...
If you can break it in properly and take your time, it'll be worth it. It's the rush and play with it too early that will bite ya. It took us a year and a half to get her Heart of the Hide to a playable spot, to use this year in games.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Context to Core's chuckle :D She got it when she was 10 for Christmas, and it's a 12.5 outfield glove...Taking time with hand strength and size of glove in general, using it now at 12 this past season. Clearly an older kid could break in faster if using day in day out. We just didn't transfer over to it, until backhands stuck cleanly without popping out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles