Glove recommendation - help appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2023
Kansas
I am about to drive myself crazy deciding what glove to get my daughter (almost 11yo). She's been using a cheap 12in Easton from amazon for a couple years, and just earlier this year she discovered she loves softball so she has been doing lessons, and will be on her first travel team this fall. Her Easton seems so tiny when she is catching a ball (no matter where she is playing) but maybe that's just the glove. Sometimes the ball hits right in the glove and then falls back out.
For Rec she is one of the main pitchers, and then plays some 2B, 3B, or LF when not pitching. I doubt she will pitch on her travel team, more like 2B/3B or OF. I have had her try on several gloves but she just feels that they are all stiff (which is expected, as they are new) so can't really tell me which ones she likes best, though she did like the feel of a couple Rawlings better than mizuno. I'm debating what size she needs. If she ends up doing mostly OF on her travel team then I feel she needs a larger glove, but I think if I go too large she wouldn't be able to use it for pitching in Rec. And maybe she just needs 2 different ones.
I am thinking a 12, 12.25, or 12.5? And either HOH (which is what our son has and it's a great glove) or Liberty (so that it would be broken in by tournament time this fall).
Any input is greatly appreciated - I don't have much experience with softball (as is probably evident in my post ;D)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A2000 1975 11.75. Deep pocket. Follow break in instruction from Wilson glove guru which involves pour hot water over the glove, beating and stretching it. Then repeat after dinner. Glove will be ready to go in no time.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I would not go larger than 12 if she is going to use it pitching. (even if it is rec) If you are just starting in Travel ball I would just get a glove that best fits whatever you think her primary position will be.

Jul 14, 2023
Kansas
A2000 1975 11.75. Deep pocket. Follow break in instruction from Wilson glove guru which involves pour hot water over the glove, beating and stretching it. Then repeat after dinner. Glove will be ready to go in no time.
Thanks, I'll look into that one! And the 11.75 will still be ok for outfield?

Sep 19, 2018
Don't over think glove sie at this age. An adult 12 in is plenty big enough for her. In the fall of first year 12U I bought my DD a Wilson H12 A2000. She refused to use it due to being too stiff. Her gamer (a cheapy $60 glove from 10U) finally broke the following June which forced her to move to the Wilson.

As much as I love both my HoH and A2000, neither are going to be ready for her to use this fall. If her current glove is a total no go, I'd suggest something that can be game ready. All of the major brands have mid priced gloves that can be game ready comparatively quickly and should get you 2 years before you need to invest in the real deal HoH or A2000.

There are a ton of brands to choose from Bradley, Rawlings, Wilson, Gloveworks.net, Mizuno, Vinci
Go 12in maybe 12.25 and let her choose the color from there.

Nov 1, 2022
Thanks, I'll look into that one! And the 11.75 will still be ok for outfield?
How much money do you have to spend? A2000, Mizuno Pro models, Rawlings HoH are all nice but.... she is 11. Those gloves are for super serious players down the road, or for players who have dad's that need their girls to look pro in front of everybody and money is no object. My daughter tried a host of gloves at that age and believe it or not she did well with a low cost Mizuno Franchise. It lasted well through one season and then was pretty floppy so she upgraded to a Mizuno MVP which lasted a little longer. Being in college now, she uses higher end gloves of course, but she still has some Rawlings Liberty and Mizuno MVP SE gloves she uses from time to time. If it were me, and I am not made of $, then I would find a glove under $125 and have her show you how dedicated she is to the sport by putting the work in and earning a higher end glove. I saw a Rawlings Liberty 11.75 and 12" RHT on eBay recently at $125. Slightly used you can find a good glove and save $, putting the savings in the bank for next years higher end glove.

Feb 14, 2019
I am about to drive myself crazy deciding what glove to get my daughter (almost 11yo). She's been using a cheap 12in Easton from amazon for a couple years, and just earlier this year she discovered she loves softball so she has been doing lessons, and will be on her first travel team this fall. Her Easton seems so tiny when she is catching a ball (no matter where she is playing) but maybe that's just the glove. Sometimes the ball hits right in the glove and then falls back out.
For Rec she is one of the main pitchers, and then plays some 2B, 3B, or LF when not pitching. I doubt she will pitch on her travel team, more like 2B/3B or OF. I have had her try on several gloves but she just feels that they are all stiff (which is expected, as they are new) so can't really tell me which ones she likes best, though she did like the feel of a couple Rawlings better than mizuno. I'm debating what size she needs. If she ends up doing mostly OF on her travel team then I feel she needs a larger glove, but I think if I go too large she wouldn't be able to use it for pitching in Rec. And maybe she just needs 2 different ones.
I am thinking a 12, 12.25, or 12.5? And either HOH (which is what our son has and it's a great glove) or Liberty (so that it would be broken in by tournament time this fall).
Any input is greatly appreciated - I don't have much experience with softball (as is probably evident in my post ;D)
I'm going to throw out another Bradley recommendation here...My DD is about to turn 13 and has been using a 12" Bradley H-Web for about 4 years (she's on her second one now...).

Nov 1, 2022
How much money do you have to spend? A2000, Mizuno Pro models, Rawlings HoH are all nice but.... she is 11. Those gloves are for super serious players down the road, or for players who have dad's that need their girls to look pro in front of everybody and money is no object. My daughter tried a host of gloves at that age and believe it or not she did well with a low cost Mizuno Franchise. It lasted well through one season and then was pretty floppy so she upgraded to a Mizuno MVP which lasted a little longer. Being in college now, she uses higher end gloves of course, but she still has some Rawlings Liberty and Mizuno MVP SE gloves she uses from time to time. If it were me, and I am not made of $, then I would find a glove under $125 and have her show you how dedicated she is to the sport by putting the work in and earning a higher end glove. I saw a Rawlings Liberty 11.75 and 12" RHT on eBay recently at $125. Slightly used you can find a good glove and save $, putting the savings in the bank for next years higher end glove.
You asked if an 11.75 glove would work for the outfield. My daughter made it work lol although she admits the 12" would have been a better glove for that without a doubt. She uses a 12.5 and a 12.75 now at the college level same as her outfield teammates use. She said it is rare to see a 13" on the field. A small difference in size is one thing, but the design of the larger glove is more important for outfield. I have a 12U player using a 12.5 and doing very well with it. She catches balls with it that she might not had she worn a 11.75.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022
why not bigger than 12 for pitching? everyone now is trying to hide the ball, so as to not tip pitches.
A 12" glove with a closed pocket is solid for hiding hand grip for a pitcher. At 12U I doubt they are seeing a whole lot of technical pitches? I am sure there are some super stars out there with $20k in pitching lessons that can throw multiple pitches but I would bet 99% of the girls out there do not. I see girls at 12U using open web gloves and have yet to hear one coach predict pitches at that level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles