Girls quitting (2016's)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
One of the local NAIA coaches told me that there isn't enough players for the number of teams in college - not through lack of talent, but because the girls just stop playing.

The job of a college softball player doesn't pay that well. Many programs are not fully funded. If you sign to play in college, there's probably only a 50-50 chance that you'll ever play significantly with rosters of 20-25 players. You either won't be good enough, or you won't be willing to work hard for 2-3 years just for the possibility that you might some day. There's great sacrifice on your time whether you're a top player or not, but only a small number experience much glory or fanfare because hundreds of college teams play without people caring that much about them.

So it's takes a special player, one that really loves the game and wants to be a student-athlete. This is probably the most underrated quality of a college prospect - is she the kind of player that really wants to play in college, or does she just think she does?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The job of a college softball player doesn't pay that well. Many programs are not fully funded. If you sign to play in college, there's probably only a 50-50 chance that you'll ever play significantly with rosters of 20-25 players. You either won't be good enough, or you won't be willing to work hard for 2-3 years just for the possibility that you might some day. There's great sacrifice on your time whether you're a top player or not, but only a small number experience much glory or fanfare because hundreds of college teams play without people caring that much about them.

So it's takes a special player, one that really loves the game and wants to be a student-athlete. This is probably the most underrated quality of a college prospect - is she the kind of player that really wants to play in college, or does she just think she does?

Isn't that a total shame.

I was in Australia - a country where softball is WAY down the list of popular sports played by woman. I ran a couple of clinics for the local junior programs local to where I was in Melbourne (which is in one of the weaker softball states). While there I saw several adult leagues, and they talked about similar set ups in every capital city and most major towns have at least a team or often a league. With a small base of players that is how they manage to compete on an international level - their small base of players are allowed to mature and play for a long time. There is no link to education - it is all club sport - so you play as much as you want and if you want to commit more you do.. but if you don't you can still continue to play. Many players take a couple of years off and return later in life because they can. Here in the USA, if you take a year off you don't get another chance beyond a very small window.

Sep 29, 2014

and they are not going to college for free, this is not college football, so there is not the I have to stay on the team mentality. A friend of mine, whose kid was a D1 football player at OU was basically told after Red shirting that he would never see any playing time and the coach signed several JUCO transfers to fill needs at his spot. The kid really wanted to play so he opted to transfer to UH. It may be harder for football players because there is the NFL dream in the back of their minds but when my buddy first laid out all his offers it was a no brainer for me I would have picked Stanford given his choices then if you sit the bench for 5 years you are really getting compensated for your time given the education you are getting.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Shudder (or hush!) or BOTH - my nearly 14 y.o. is grumbly - being on two teams now (MS and TB) is taking its toll on her.....she is longing for a break. Hope once MS is done, she finds her groove again. Light a candle for us!

Where are you located? In our area TB shuts down during MS/HS season. My DD would probably quit if she had to do both at the same time....

Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City

For most players it transcends a love for the game to play a sport in college, it takes a love of the grind. A love of pushing yourself off season, a love of a highly regimented schedule, a love of pushing your body to become stronger and faster, a love of the sport (not just playing the sport). I can understand in great players not wanting to play in college, it takes a lot.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Where are you located? In our area TB shuts down during MS/HS season. My DD would probably quit if she had to do both at the same time....

Independent TB team - northern Gwinnett Co.(and Gwinnett Co MS league) - many lessons learned. NOT sustainable next year (DD will be in 9th grade and fingers crossed, should make the JV team) Right now MS has her starry eyed - LOVES playing on the HS field.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Independent TB team - northern Gwinnett Co.(and Gwinnett Co MS league) - many lessons learned. NOT sustainable next year (DD will be in 9th grade and fingers crossed, should make the JV team) Right now MS has her starry eyed - LOVES playing on the HS field.

I would tell your TB coach that your DD is not available until the MS season is over. I know that North Gwinnett has a very competitive MS and HS team, so your TB coach should understand.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

DD played MS and TB this past spring. It was tough. DD is about to do it again with HS fall ball starting Monday and TB ball starting this weekend.

Kind of looking forward to HS regular season ball this spring where our coach says no TB practice or games - period!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD played MS and TB this past spring. It was tough. DD is about to do it again with HS fall ball starting Monday and TB ball starting this weekend.

Kind of looking forward to HS regular season ball this spring where our coach says no TB practice or games - period!

Not sure why people would want to play HS ball when it is not in season, and I am not sure it is even legal here....they limit the amount of interaction the HS coaches can have with the players outside of the regular season.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Not sure why people would want to play HS ball when it is not in season, and I am not sure it is even legal here....they limit the amount of interaction the HS coaches can have with the players outside of the regular season.

Very legal here and probably where you are too. UIL/TAPPS rules prevent the HS Head Coaches from participating, but there aren't any rules preventing other coaches from running the team. Not a whole lot different than TB coaches who are also HS coaches running an organization or 18G team.

To answer your question as to why people would want to play: Because our HS is very competitive. It's a little more relaxed than spring season and fun for the girls. It gives the kids a chance to play together and shake down things before spring. It gives the normal bench players a chance to get in the game and sharpen their skills. And lastly, because all players have to per coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13