Recruiting while in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2023
That only applies at the D3 level.

With enough support, you could start such a tournament. However, USA already has an 18+ designation for tournaments as does USSSA and I believe NSA. 18+ is exactly what it says anyone over 18. When I was coaching 18+ we even faced women who had played in the professional league or in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
With enough support, you could start such a tournament. However, USA already has an 18+ designation for tournaments as does USSSA and I believe NSA. 18+ is exactly what it says anyone over 18. When I was coaching 18+ we even faced women who had played in the professional league or in Japan.

Here's what I'm saying; I'm not sure you understand. The top recruiting events across the country are not USA or USSSA-sanctioned events. Yes, they may use the USA rules regarding the nitty gritty, but they don't sponsor them. The reasoning is that most, if not all, of their events are play-to-win.

For example, Atlanta Legacy does not have a college division, Scenic City does not have one, TNJ does not have one, the IDT does not have one, NE Finest does not have one, and Alliance and PGF do not have one. Those are the events that need a college division, or there need to be a few events designed just for such an action.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023
Here's what I'm saying that I'm not sure you're understanding. The top recruiting events across the country are not USA or USSSA sanctioned events. Yes, they may use the rules of USA regarding the nitty gritty, but they aren't sponsored by them. The reasoning is because most, if not all, of their events are play-to-win.

For example; Atlanta Legacy does not have a college division. Scenic City does not have one. TNJ doesn't have one. The IDT doesn't have one. NE Finest doesn't have one. Alliance and PGF don't have one. Those are the events that need a college division, or there needs to be a few events designed just for such an action.

What I’m saying is if they follow USA rules, there’s a way to ask them to create an 18+ Division in either an existing tournament or a stand alone tournament. USA makes the rules that most Associations follow, they don’t run tournaments except for State tourneys and USA Nationals.
I know there’s a Showcase in headquartered in Plainville, Mass. that uses many of the fields in Southeastern Mass and Rhode Island. How it compares to the tournaments you noted I do not know.
The kids I coach are mostly from Blue Collar families that can’t afford to follow their girls flying all over the country.
USA does run teams that play Internationally in various age groups.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What I’m saying is if they follow USA rules, there’s a way to ask them to create an 18+ Division in either an existing tournament or a stand alone tournament. USA makes the rules that most Associations follow, they don’t run tournaments except for State tourneys and USA Nationals.
I know there’s a Showcase in headquartered in Plainville, Mass. that uses many of the fields in Southeastern Mass and Rhode Island. How it compares to the tournaments you noted I do not know.
The kids I coach are mostly from Blue Collar families that can’t afford to follow their girls flying all over the country.

It doesn't compare, with the exception of NE Finest. Girls in the portal who played D1 aren't showing up for the Bay State Showcase at PAL or Taunton.

May 3, 2023
It doesn't compare, with the exception of NE Finest. Girls in the portal who played D1 aren't showing up for the Bay State Showcase at PAL or Taunton.

You have a pulpit here to get enough players, who are in college and may wish to join the portal, to contact these Showcase sponsors. You all can get the ball rolling towards Showcase 18* Divisions. 18+ is the old 23U.
If enough college players contact these Sponsors, one of them might just form an 18+ Division in their Showcase. All it would take is one to get the others to follow suit.

May 3, 2023

You can limit it to players who have college eligibility left, that would preclude pro players from playing!
I’m sure your daughter has friends at other Universities can she can contact on Social Media. You may even get some universities involved. The schools prefer to recruit players of known skill levels that they have saved a year or two of scholarship money.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You can limit it to players who have college eligibility left, that would preclude pro players from playing!
I’m sure your daughter has friends at other Universities can she can contact on Social Media. You may even get some universities involved. The schools prefer to recruit players of known skill levels that they have saved a year or two of scholarship money.

I will do some research and ensure it's permissible by the NCAA. If so, I will contact the major players in the recruiting field to see if they're interested.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Something else to consider is to run a camp for these players during one or more of the existing events.
That's another great idea. I would guess they can't be run by the actual colleges since a player in the portal is still part of their original college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968