Recruiting while in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I’m curious what league her school plays, all college coaches I know practice daily, except around the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the college is in season, they practice daily. I'm talking about the summer league near me, not college, though.

May 3, 2023
When the college is in season, they practice daily. I'm talking about the summer league near me, not college, though.

If she played for a Gold team, she can’t play for them in college. However, if she still is 18U eligible, she should be able to move down to an 18A team. You can check with your JO Commissioner in your state.
Say an 18A that plays in Showcases or in Windsor. She should be seen by some college coaches.

Aug 3, 2016
So, this morning, I was having a discussion with a former DFP member about utter nonsense, as usual, but a good question emerged. When we discussed the possible changes to Alliance regarding the age cutoff, I mentioned that my now freshman daughter could play travel next summer except PGF. This got me thinking. How do girls who want to transfer get seen by coaches?

The college leagues, by me, are trash. It's primarily girls just having fun, no practices, and a low quality of play. Maybe I missed it, but how about having a few summer tournaments in the portal for girls? You could weed out the girls who want to be at the beach and get some very competitive ball. This also might help girls who enter the portal because they have no playing time.

You could offer 3-4 per summer, especially on weekends when there are no significant events to not conflict with them. You could even break it into divisions based on level of play. This way, you don't have a P4 pitcher facing D3 batters, and vice versa.

If this is not allowed because of NCAA rules, so be it. We thought it would be an interesting idea, like the Cape Cod League in college baseball.

Can't play the Sparkler even if age eligible.

Any player who has played on a college roster (JUCO, NAIA, NCAA) or has completed college coursework after high school, is NOT eligible to play in this event.

https://www.cosparkfire.com/rules.html

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If she played for a Gold team, she can’t play for them in college. However, if she still is 18U eligible, she should be able to move down to an 18A team. You can check with your JO Commissioner in your state.
Say an 18A that plays in Showcases or in Windsor. She should be seen by some college coaches.

I'm not clear on what you're talking about. The original post was meant for girls wishing to transfer after playing a year or two in college. 18A and B sound like USSSA designations, which are normally local level events, not true showcases.

May 3, 2023
I'm not clear on what you're talking about. The original post was meant for girls wishing to transfer after playing a year or two in college. 18A and B sound like USSSA designations, which are normally local level events, not true showcases.

18U Gold cannot have players who have played in college. However, 18A teams can have college players on them. I’m sure there are Showcases that allow college players to play in them.
If she turns 19 during the year, she could play on an 18+ team. Maybe not the Sparkler but their must be other showcases that attract top Div.1 coaches.

May 27, 2013
I think he might be referring to USA Softball. They have a Gold classification level, as well as A,B, etc.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think he might be referring to USA Softball. They have a Gold classification level, as well as A,B, etc.
My girls never played in a single USA event. Maybe they played a tournament that followed those rules, but their ancient history. Are any real showcases run by USA?

May 3, 2023
My girls never played in a single USA event. Maybe they played a tournament that followed those rules, but their ancient history. Are any real showcases run by USA?

Most of the tournaments in Northeast follow USA Rules, the only tournaments USA actually runs are the State Championships.
I think your going to see USA coming back somewhat as the 2028 and 2032 Olympics will include Softball.
Your daughter may be disappointed with the intensity of the fall practices at her University because about 30 yrs ago the NCAA cracked down on the amount of time spent on off season practices. Teams were practicing so much in all sports that the players academics were suffering.
While it may not seem so in Footbal, the NCAA is an academics first organization!

May 27, 2013
I don’t believe they do showcases. My dd played on a team at age 15 that played in the State tournament or some kind of 18U Gold qualifier event and it was a very long weekend - with very good competition. I believe it was double-elimination and we played 5 games on the last day. In the end it came down to who could outhit the other as everyone’s pitchers were fried.

It was my only experience with a USA Softball event. I think they also do the JO Cup which usually draws good teams, as well. I believe back in the day (talking many years ago) it was how teams became a “Gold” level team and could rightfully use that designation. Over the years their tournaments have greatly declined in popularity in our area.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don’t believe they do showcases. My dd played on a team at age 15 that played in the State tournament or some kind of 18U Gold qualifier event and it was a very long weekend - with very good competition. I believe it was double-elimination and we played 5 games on the last day. In the end it came down to who could outhit the other as everyone’s pitchers were fried.

It was my only experience with a USA Softball event. I think they also do the JO Cup which usually draws good teams, as well. I believe back in the day (talking many years ago) it was how teams became a “Gold” level team and could rightfully use that designation. Over the years their tournaments have greatly declined in popularity in our area.
There are none in my area. It's all USSSA , which allows coaches to set the level of their teams.

Considering they don't run the tournaments we played in, I'm not worried about whether they allow college players on or not. My idea still stands. Create a college division at the showcases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968