Girls quitting (2016's)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I know this is normal but we are seeing a lot of DD's friends quitting softball. The thing that surprises me is that these girls are good players. 2 of the young ladies recently got back from Gold Nationals- 1 is committed to a D2 but decided to take a break her senior year and the other fell in love:rolleyes: I know of 5 more besides those 2 that DD had played with that had some serious college interests. One on her team had a very good scholarship offer to a D1 to play but she's just not into the "college thing." College ball isn't for everyone, but it's amazing after playing all their lives that they drop it completely. One of DD's friends said she just wants to have fun her senior year and DD just said I'm having the best time of my life playing softball right now. Anyway, just thinking about this as I found out about several of these in the last few days.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am finding that "Life" becomes a much bigger issue when girls turn 16 and are able to drive....

Jan 27, 2014
I've noticed even now with my daughter who is 13 and playing 14U that a lot of girls are realizing they don't want to commit every weekend to a sport. I think it's a teenage issue in general, it just takes some girls longer to give up softball.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am finding that "Life" becomes a much bigger issue when girls turn 16 and are able to drive....

Yep, and even more so when they keep missing out on homecomings, halloween events, etc due to showcases in the Fall. Add to that prom and other "Life" events. DD is growing up though. When she realized that she wasn't going to Homecoming this year, she reasoned "Well, that's okay, we can use what we would normally spend on a homecoming dress on HOSA membership fee instead." :) She is steadily becoming excited about her career path than she is softball, which is A-ok because her career will be there long after softball is over.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
JMHO - if you look deep enough - most of the girls that burn out after "playing their whole lives" have a parental/adult pressure issue that finally reached critical mass.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Shudder (or hush!) or BOTH - my nearly 14 y.o. is grumbly - being on two teams now (MS and TB) is taking its toll on her.....she is longing for a break. Hope once MS is done, she finds her groove again. Light a candle for us!

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
My 15 year old DD is SO TIRED of watching her 12 yr old sister play softball every weekend! I think she is finally gonna hang up her chair...LOL

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Shudder (or hush!) or BOTH - my nearly 14 y.o. is grumbly - being on two teams now (MS and TB) is taking its toll on her.....she is longing for a break. Hope once MS is done, she finds her groove again. Light a candle for us!

That would be too much for DD, she would have quit already. :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I know this is normal but we are seeing a lot of DD's friends quitting softball. The thing that surprises me is that these girls are good players. 2 of the young ladies recently got back from Gold Nationals- 1 is committed to a D2 but decided to take a break her senior year and the other fell in love:rolleyes: I know of 5 more besides those 2 that DD had played with that had some serious college interests. One on her team had a very good scholarship offer to a D1 to play but she's just not into the "college thing." College ball isn't for everyone, but it's amazing after playing all their lives that they drop it completely. One of DD's friends said she just wants to have fun her senior year and DD just said I'm having the best time of my life playing softball right now. Anyway, just thinking about this as I found out about several of these in the last few days.

It is remarkably hard to find a balanced semi-commitment the way sports are set up in this country. Either you are going elite all the way or you are not - which is a problem when you don't want to make it 'your life' - and even if you do it is only going to last until you are 23 or so. It is also hard when your personal 'elite' level may not be that high.

One of the local NAIA coaches told me that there isn't enough players for the number of teams in college - not through lack of talent, but because the girls just stop playing. Between us we could name an entire team of girls who attend Florida or Florida State that would form a strong mid-D1 program but none of them actually play any more. And that is just local girls we know. They decided education trumped the game. I have said it before - it is a shame that people need to make that decision.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13