When to get an aggressive lead

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2012
Coogans, what is the age of your DD?

I teach the rocker start, and want the girls on time every time and max distance. I also teach the dive back. After the girls learn the dive back and get relatively comfortable excuting it in the game, they are almost baiting the throw.

We practice how far can you get yourself off the base and return with a dive back on a one step and dive. Strech out the body. If you can't reach, you went too far. Carve out some practice time, and each girl's distance will be their own based on their height and athleticism.

I don't want them going 75% with the idea that they have momentum. I don't buy it. I believe that split second between when the bat would have hit the ball and when the ball hits the glove is your stop time. If its a hit, you might not be stopping, but if its a line drive to the 2B, then you will not make it back if you didn't come under control at the time the ball was crossing the plate.

As with everthing it depends on the level of the competition you are playing.

Sometimes the pick-off attemt is just to get the runner to shorten their lead and make the runner nervous. Sometimes you actually think you have a shot at the out. As a runner if you are confident diving back, you can take the same lead even after they attempted to get you (assuming you got back).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My DD is first-year 16U-A.

Would like to hear more thoughts. There's one vote, at least, for ''on time/max lead''. I can only say that this might require a team practice to test.

More opinions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose