College Roster Sizes, sorry some of you don't get to go with us~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
I don't know how prevalent it is, but there are NAIA colleges with JV softball teams.

It's pretty widespread around us, and becoming more so.

There's one team close to us that has carried 30+ for quite a while but that used to be the exception. Now it seems to be the norm. When DD took visits she always asked about roster size and she had coaches tell her that the administration was pushing them to expand to 30+ and carry a full varsity reserve (VR) team. It's a good way to get excited new enrollees in your school and since the scholarship dollars are basically 0 for those players, it's all income for the institution.

I just took a peak at the schedule for the VR team of the school I mentioned above. What they are doing is actually very smart. The VR team plays travel ball and JUCO teams mostly. The coach can get a look at players he might want to recruit (or currently is recruiting) by having them come to his field and play in front of him.

Mar 29, 2023
There's one team close to us that has carried 30+ for quite a while but that used to be the exception. Now it seems to be the norm. When DD took visits she always asked about roster size and she had coaches tell her that the administration was pushing them to expand to 30+ and carry a full varsity reserve (VR) team. It's a good way to get excited new enrollees in your school and since the scholarship dollars are basically 0 for those players, it's all income for the institution.
This seems very predatory by the university.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles