Never seen this. Digging hole in pitcher's circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
That's so bizarre. My daughter played on more crappy fields than good. It was always a treat to play on a good field without craters in front of the pitching rubber and around home plate. Not sure how I would react to a coach deliberately excavating a hole.

Jun 22, 2008
Several years ago I was watching USA nationals and one team when they took the field all 9 players would descend on the pitching circle and just tear the crap out of it with their steel cleats. The next half inning the other teams pitcher complained about all the damage that had been done and they had to call the field maintenance team to come fix the circle. Next half inning all 9 players once again proceeded to tear the crap out of the circle and field maintenance once again had to come fix it for the other pitcher. They then ruled that only the pitcher was allowed to "groom" the circle, that she only had her 1 minute to do anything and that she could not tear the crap out of it.

May 29, 2015
Several years ago I was watching USA nationals and one team when they took the field all 9 players would descend on the pitching circle and just tear the crap out of it with their steel cleats. The next half inning the other teams pitcher complained about all the damage that had been done and they had to call the field maintenance team to come fix the circle. Next half inning all 9 players once again proceeded to tear the crap out of the circle and field maintenance once again had to come fix it for the other pitcher. They then ruled that only the pitcher was allowed to "groom" the circle, that she only had her 1 minute to do anything and that she could not tear the crap out of it.

Maybe this is the benefit of hindsight or maybe I am being a hardarse . . .

First time would have been a warning. On the second one, people would be going back to the hotel early from my field.

Were they actually trying to do something for their pitcher (e.g., loosen the dirt up) or were they literally just tearing it up to play games with the other pitcher?

Jun 30, 2024

First time would have been a warning. On the second one, people would be going back to the hotel early from my field.

Were they actually trying to do something for their pitcher (e.g., loosen the dirt up) or were they literally just tearing it up to play games with the other pitcher?
I agree. I will see a team from the same city today. If the coach and pitcher are the same I will have a quiet conversation with them. I am a retired H.S. pitching coach. I may offer some drills for the 10u pitcher. Getting her to close her hips and shoulders properly should eliminate the need for the hole. Specifically the SUPERMAN drill. At this level, I am more interested in developing players' skills regardless of team affiliation.

The players at this level are primarily here to play. Winning is secondary. Coaches and parents may or may not segregate those goals in the same order.
I umpire too. I have had my neighbors say things about my calls that question my social standing. From the bleachers in the heat of the moment. They never would have said socially. One time I walked over to a neighbor, the grandmother of a player, and offered her the umpire gear. She was properly embarrassed and apologized. The right outcome for the game and a teaching moment for the Little League boys.

My pre-game conference always includes a statement that I am willing to entertain different points of view on calls. However, I caution both sides "THE LOUDER YOU ARE THE WRONGER YOU GET!" Teaching moments.

The ASA story is quite sad. If coaches generated, their job should be questioned. If a players generated plot, then the coaches need to quell the rebellion.

Jun 22, 2008

The circle looked like a freshly plowed field by the time they were done, I have no idea why a pitcher would want the circle like that on purpose. Yes it may also have been to screw with the other pitcher but I dont know. It was pretty crazy to see 9 girls in the circle just digging the crap out of the ground.

May 29, 2015
The circle looked like a freshly plowed field by the time they were done, I have no idea why a pitcher would want the circle like that on purpose. Yes it may also have been to screw with the other pitcher but I dont know. It was pretty crazy to see 9 girls in the circle just digging the crap out of the ground.

Coach! Is she planting her foot or planting corn? ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach