When to get an aggressive lead

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Been working w/ DD on timing her get-away from the base to correspond w/ the pitcher's back heel lift. Video has confirmed that she is woefully late to get off the base, so we're employing a new cue.

But it occurred to me as I was teaching it that I'm not well-versed in when to get an aggressive lead, and when not. Aggressive lead would be ''on time'' and ''moving out as fast as possible.''

Of course, if you are ''on time'' and ''as fast as possible,'' you are at greater risk of getting picked off.

If you're on second base, you're not likely to get picked off, so you can go out more aggressively there.

But otherwise, what's the book on this?

Is it all-out, all-the-time? Does it depend on the competition? Or is it all-out only when you're trying to steal, or when you do not respect the catcher?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It depends on a lot of things.

How good a base stealer is she?

DD #1 was as good a base stealer as I have seen. When on first, she was off full blast on the first pitch. Every time. Once she was on second, that was a different matter. A slow pitcher and catcher? Off at first pitch. Otherwise, take a big lead and maybe go for the delayed steal, or else back to second. If she got sloppy, a really good catcher might get her out stealing second, but I only saw that happen once. She was out stealing third once or twice, too.

I did see her get picked off at first once, but that was a bad call by the umpire. She was back in time, blue just called her out. I think that was getting back to first after a short fly ball.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It depends on a lot of things.

How good a base stealer is she?

She'd be a lot better if she left the base on time instead of her usual, which is when the ball is halfway to the catcher, if not closer. :) But we're working on that.

If it's a steal attempt, then there's no question - Be on time, go fast.

But I'm talking about non-steal situations. Do you always get the quickest, fastest lead possible? If you do that well and you're reasonably fast, you're going to find yourself well off the base when the catcher receives the ball, putting you at greater risk of a pickoff, or being doubled up on a line drive.

But if you don't get the max lead, you are less likely to -- (a) advance on a pitch in the dirt, (b) beat a force play at the next base, (c) advance more than one base on a single.

So what's the best strategy? Or is it all-out, every time, but be quick to return to your base? Not sure if that's realistic.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unless your DD is a serious base stealing treat, I would recommend being a quarter second late to avoid the possibility of being called out for leaving early. Firing off early often results in a longer jump off the bag, which can lead to more double plays on line drives.

If your DD is a base stealing threat, I would have her watch the pitchers motion and release during warm ups. Depending on the pitchers arm speed you can leave when her pitching arm is between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. How does she set up on the bag - push leg on the front of the bag or behind the bag? Watch the field umpire to see how closely they are watching the base runner for leaving early.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Being a rec coach, I have my girls go all out every pitch, and I teach them that if the catcher throws behind them to advance. Of course, in rec it's unlikely that there will be 2 good throws in a row.

I think I'd want a great jump to a decent lead: one that allows advancing easily on a passed ball or WP and that allows a 1 or 2 step dive back on a pick attempt. I freely admit that those 2 goals may be incompatible.

Ray

Jun 7, 2013
I've coached my teams to use the rocker start. This is where, for a righty, the front left foot is on the edge of the bag and the right foot is behind the bag. When the pitcher's arm is straight overhead the base runner starts moving the back foot forward so that the pitch is released before the left foot lifts from the base. This allows the runner's momentum to be moving towards the next base when the pitch is released.

I have also coached my teams to go off the base hard every pitch and make the defense think you're stealing the next base every time.

If you are not stealing you take a lead of about three steps and turn towards the batter and look for a hit and ensure that you are not picked off.

I also tell my base runners, if you are not early, you're late!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While the rocker start is all I use to teach, I no longer see it as the best or only way. In fact, my fastest runners seem to benefit starting with either the sprinter's start or the baseball start.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter does the rocker start. That is, her left foot is on the base, and her right foot is behind that.

I want to note that my question isn't how to get off on time, but rather when you want to get off on time (steals only?) and also how ''hard'' you get off the bag. I can get off on time, but still not be aggressive if I'm only going half speed. But if I go full speed, I'm going to get further away from the bag, or I'm going to have to make a sudden stop to avoid doing that.

I have also coached my teams to go off the base hard every pitch and make the defense think you're stealing the next base every time.

If you are not stealing you take a lead of about three steps and turn towards the batter and look for a hit and ensure that you are not picked off.

So you're advocating to go full speed every time. Only question would be whether having to stop suddenly would then make it harder to advance on a ground ball or base hit, or passed ball. Would it be better to be going 75 percent speed off the bag (when not stealing), which would mean you didn't have to start and stop like you would with a 100-precent take off?

Watch the field umpire to see how closely they are watching the base runner for leaving early.

Great tip there. I don't see it called very often.
I think I'd want a great jump to a decent lead: one that allows advancing easily on a passed ball or WP and that allows a 1 or 2 step dive back on a pick attempt. I freely admit that those 2 goals may be incompatible.

Ray

Makes sense. Question is whether this concession needs to be made at all. Can you go full speed off the base and return safely, or must a concession be made for the pickoff?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
One other consideration - If you're on second base, I'd expect a more aggressive lead because it's harder to get picked off. Also if you're on first w/ a runner on third. Also consider the skills of the defense.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thought about this some more --

When not attempting to steal a base, a runner needs to decide where she wants to be when the pitched ball meets bat, mitt or ground. What is the best position for a runner at those moments?

I don't know the answer, and it is complicated by the individual skills of the baserunner and the defense. And may depend too on what base you're on.

But there is an ideal spot, mathematically speaking, that balances the advantages of advancing extra bases and the evils of getting picked off or doubled up.

There is also a ''max distance'' that each baserunner is capable of attaining. For my daughter, it might be 8 feet - the distance that she can legally get off the bag at the point when the pitched ball is caught or hit.

Should she be striving for that max distance each time? Or is that too risky?

And if you decide to go only 5 feet, then do you do it by going full speed, and stopping abruptly at 5? Or do you go 75 percent speed where when you hit 5 feet, you're still moving, making it easier to make an adjustment, or get to the next base?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose