To those NO DAYS OFF coaches/ people

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I avoided this thread the first time and don't understand what is meant by 'NO DAYS OFF." If that means that a team practices every day that it is not playing then I don't agree with it. However, I grew up with this quote and my DD practices this quote, "Take one day off and you know it. Take two days off and your opponent knows it. Take three days off and everyone knows it." Every player I have coached in my multiple decades of coaching can cite this quote. When we went to out-of-state tournaments, we would scope out places for my dd to hit as we drove to those tournaments.

Obviously, I qualify this with quality and quantity. I also made a point to some players that taking 30 minutes to watch video is working on those days off. Naturally, I want my athletes to "have a life" and do other things. I guess I am one of the problem coaches.

Jul 11, 2023
It's all semantics. @Cannonball you're spot on with what the definition of 'NO DAYS OFF' is. Who gets to pick that?

Everyone is going to have a different optimal dose of work needed to perform.

May 13, 2023
Can understand a person who wants to be a head coach. They have this Grand Vision of what they are going to do.
Often a new coach who's stepping into that 'I will coach a travel ball team Realm.' MAY Think they know exactly how to lead everybody, unfortunately everybody doesn't follow the same lead.

Brings this important aspect
~ How things are being communicated.
Includes,
~ Reading The Room
~ Evaluating what type of personalities are part of this group called team and how to approach the goal.
~How are the players and families responding to the style/ approach the coach is taking.

Well-intentioned purpose and how it's communicated,
can either be putting so much pressure on players that it is grinding the situation
to a pulp (👍@tim_s)
VS
creating an enthusiasm to stay focused and do *Something on a daily basis.
( does not have to be physical tearing down and wearing out the body)

I am in the camp that there should be physical days off as well as mental days off.
Got to relax! = really important to be able to unwind and not be all tight and pinched.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
I am in the camp that there should be physical days off as well as mental days off.
Got to relax! = really important to be able to unwind and not be all tight and pinched.
Good post. It boils down to perspective. I personally want my DD to be a well-rounded individual. There is more to life than softball. The "NO DAYS OFF" mantra is not physically or mentally healthy for most girls.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A little something every day for say a month leading up to a tournament could be understandable and maybe a good idea. Meeting as a team for 2 hours everyday would be way over the top. Little something when not practing as a team could be:
1.Reading a mental game book and practicing deep breathing. 15 minutes
2.Tee work. New drill. 15 minutes.
3.Stretching, skipping, cardio. 15 minutes
4.Go to a racquetball court and throw yourself ground balls working on transfers, side arm throws, etc. 15 minutes.
A lot of reps in a sustain 15 minute solo practice.
Longest stretch during the year without touching a bat or ball might be 3 weeks. And during those 3 weeks players should still be in the gym.

Jul 2, 2013
He also asked for a 500 word essay about what softball means to you.

He also insisted all girls use the same batting coach and go to batting lessons in groups of 4. Girls were 13-14 years old.

DD had had both of these. Different teams.

She did the essay with no complaint. He was just trying to judge the girls actual level of interest in softball and they were 12U at the time.

When it came to the hitting lessons, we politely told the assistant coach (he was scheduling them and was friends with the instructor) that DD already had a hitting coach and we don't believe in group lessons. Not to mention I knew the guy that he was sending the girls to and avoided him at all costs. I didn't give them the opportunity to say it was mandatory. Just told them that DD wouldn't be a part of it and that was the end of it.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
That kind of TB team accomplishes two things: Early burnout and chronic injury! Want to enjoy seeing your kid playing in college? Keep her away from that kind of organization.

Agreed.

We are just now coming back from our 8 weeks off. Looking strong and healthier and hungrier than ever.

Oct 4, 2018
A little something every day for say a month leading up to a tournament could be understandable and maybe a good idea. Meeting as a team for 2 hours everyday would be way over the top. Little something when not practing as a team could be:
1.Reading a mental game book and practicing deep breathing. 15 minutes
2.Tee work. New drill. 15 minutes.
3.Stretching, skipping, cardio. 15 minutes
4.Go to a racquetball court and throw yourself ground balls working on transfers, side arm throws, etc. 15 minutes.
A lot of reps in a sustain 15 minute solo practice.
Longest stretch during the year without touching a bat or ball might be 3 weeks. And during those 3 weeks players should still be in the gym.

Yup.

There are days my DD has lots of school, or chores, or social life. And perhaps there was a lesson or practice or hard workout the day before. those days it might be "Hey Lily, go do high tee drills off the tee like Coach said at hitting lesson for 15 minutes".

That's enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles