Let them play ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In recent weeks, I have had two softball players tell me that they are finished playing. One has told her parents and one has not. That is always a tough conversation because I need to ask them why they would quit a sport that they seemed to love. I guess you can guess the answer. In each case, their parents have ruined it for them.

Today, I was golfing. The local high school had a half day so a dad took his son to the golf course. This young man is on the varsity golf team but, and I am guessing, he lost in a playoff for getting to be on the team for the state-run. To be honest, this dad is an absolute jerk. He couldn't shut up for five minutes. It isn't like he was ready for the PGA himself. I coached golf for a very long time and all of the advice he was giving his son was wrong. The more the young man tried to do what his dad said, the worse he got. Keep in mind that this young man was on the varsity so, he does have some ability. On Hole 8, the body language of that young man was that of someone who was defeated. On Hole 9, he hit his drive out to the right. Dad was going to "show him one more time how to hit a ball." I knew that was all the young man could take. BTW, the dad, in his example hit his ball further right than the son. I was getting pretty angry by now as well. The son got in the cart and told dad that he was done. He was never going to golf again.

I wonder what could make a parent do this to a child that they love. It could have been a fun day out playing golf as a family. Instead, it was torture. This is much like I see in most sports lately. Forget the ego. Sit back and enjoy the ride. There will come a day when parents won't be able to watch their children compete in sports any longer. Unfortunately, there will come a day when real tragedy might strike. Sorry for the rant. This has eaten at me all evening. I feel like I should have jumped in and told the dad to shut up.

Apr 10, 2021
This is something I'm glad I recognized early on with my girls, think 8u was the most wacky I got before I had the realization that I needed to chill out and enjoy the ride.

Both still love the game and play as teens.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I just want dads and maybe moms to read a book written by an expert in the mental part of the game. Brian Cain?
At no point do experts advocate for being an confident crushing asshole. Build them up!
Teach them that putting in the work earns them the right to be confident come gameday. Why is this so hard to understand?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In recent weeks, I have had two softball players tell me that they are finished playing. One has told her parents and one has not. That is always a tough conversation because I need to ask them why they would quit a sport that they seemed to love. I guess you can guess the answer. In each case, their parents have ruined it for them.

Today, I was golfing. The local high school had a half day so a dad took his son to the golf course. This young man is on the varsity golf team but, and I am guessing, he lost in a playoff for getting to be on the team for the state-run. To be honest, this dad is an absolute jerk. He couldn't shut up for five minutes. It isn't like he was ready for the PGA himself. I coached golf for a very long time and all of the advice he was giving his son was wrong. The more the young man tried to do what his dad said, the worse he got. Keep in mind that this young man was on the varsity so, he does have some ability. On Hole 8, the body language of that young man was that of someone who was defeated. On Hole 9, he hit his drive out to the right. Dad was going to "show him one more time how to hit a ball." I knew that was all the young man could take. BTW, the dad, in his example hit his ball further right than the son. I was getting pretty angry by now as well. The son got in the cart and told dad that he was done. He was never going to golf again.

I wonder what could make a parent do this to a child that they love. It could have been a fun day out playing golf as a family. Instead, it was torture. This is much like I see in most sports lately. Forget the ego. Sit back and enjoy the ride. There will come a day when parents won't be able to watch their children compete in sports any longer. Unfortunately, there will come a day when real tragedy might strike. Sorry for the rant. This has eaten at me all evening. I feel like I should have jumped in and told the dad to shut up.
Make that dad carry his own bag and walk for 18 holes. I walked 9 holes yesterday with a push cart and I have a new found respect for pros that walk 18 four days in a row.

May 17, 2023
Make that dad carry his own bag and walk for 18 holes. I walked 9 holes yesterday with a push cart and I have a new found respect for pros that walk 18 four days in a row.

Pros have it easy they generally only play 18 and have someone carry their bag.

College golfers routinely do 18 practice on Sunday, 36 on Monday, and 18 on Tuesday carrying their own bags.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD somehow put herself in a bubble, no one off the field would distract her. I could get through the bubble, I assume Dw could too. I learned a little latter then I should have to keep my mouth shut during games, half way through 8U season.

Grandparents are ther worst.

I was a scratch golfer and my father shot somewhere in the 100s. I was golfing just for fun not trying to go anywhere just a hobby that kept me busy practicing a lot playing a little. I stopped playing with him because of his criticism. I should of learned this lesson then for DD but did not. Took me a little bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles