To those NO DAYS OFF coaches/ people

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Recently a young team was started up with one of the NO DAYS OFF coaches... you may know one of these...
that proudly promotes their team grinds 7 days a week....
Prompted this post.

Knowing how that can wear out a body bringing it closer to the possibility of injuries.
Bringing it to the dfp Forum for everybody to share their perspectives on what to do in a situation if you're on a team like this. Please, Bring dfp feedback on healthier perspectives to the amount of training that is necessary and or enough.

Hopefully this may reach at least one coach/family to help them recognize the detriment they could be putting young players in, to take on a new healthier approach to training and not tearing players down by wearing them out.

➡️The body needs recuperation time even when young!

Jun 8, 2016
Bringing it to the dfp Forum for everybody to share their perspectives on what to do in a situation if you're on a team like this.
A TB team? Ask the right questions ahead of time so you don't join them to begin with?
Do they really practice every day of the week as a team?

May 13, 2023
A TB team? Ask the right questions ahead of time so you don't join them to begin with?
Do they really practice every day of the week as a team?
Good morning🙂

Yes travel team. ( heard him speak)
Coach initially said it was going to be a weekend team. With one day during the week doing hitting and Agility. He did say he gives the players calisthenics type workout to do at home. Couple weeks in he added players can come to hitting with him two more times a week.
The 7-Day grind thing came about as it appears he is trying to encourage the players to train hard.
Post videos on Team website.

What I recognize is happening is parents are doing the following like lemmings thing... already know it's causing exhaustion for players.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Good morning🙂

Yes travel team. ( heard him speak)
Coach initially said it was going to be a weekend team. With one day during the week doing hitting and Agility. He did say he gives the players calisthenics type workout to do at home. Couple weeks in he added players can come to hitting with him two more times a week.
The 7-Day grind thing came about as it appears he is trying to encourage the players to train hard.
Post videos on Team website.

What I recognize is happening is parents are doing the following like lemmings thing... already know it's causing exhaustion for players.
His team, his rules. Parents can go talk to the guy but they should already be looking for another team if they don't like it...

Also I agree forcing anybody, in particular little ones, to train every day is a bit much.

May 13, 2023
His team, his rules. Parents can go talk to the guy but they should already be looking for another team if they don't like it...

Also I agree forcing anybody, in particular little ones, to train every day is a bit much.
Yes, People have to make their own decision! *Without bringing it to the coach's attention, families could have their kid take a day off for recuperation.
Then if the coach pushes the issue (where is your video) that can bring out a discussion.

For families that are trying to figure it out...
brought it here to dfp so people can express what they think is enough training and what is appropriate time off.

Certainly not a new topic but a very important one!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just imagine trying to get your kid to work out everyday on her "off days" when she is not at a lesson, practices or games. I learned the hard way. There are some weeks when you need to hit gas and other weeks where you need to pump the brakes. Otherwise, you will have a burned out player and parents. At the end of DD's TB experience, there were some parents that were glad it was over...I was sad. However, DD did not enjoy catching 3 back to back 7 inning games in Atlanta. She was glad they lost that last game.

Oct 4, 2018
We had a coach who made the girls fill out a daily diary of what softball thing(s) they did. You had to have an entry for every day. He also asked for a 500 word essay about what softball means to you.

He instituted these rules after a string of losses that in part were due to his bad coaching, and in part due to months of bad practices. He also insisted all girls use the same batting coach and go to batting lessons in groups of 4. Girls were 13-14 years old.

We chuckled and then quit.

Lousy coach. Sad we wasted time with him.

Jun 8, 2016
There are some weeks when you need to hit gas and other weeks where you need to pump the brakes.
You gotta read the room (eg your kid..especially your teenage daughter :oops:). It has been hard for me..I enjoyed practicing more than the games so it is difficult for me to understand why you wouldn't want to hit everyday but as my DW has continued to tell me over the years "She isn't you" (and then adds "thank God" under her breath)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad