Thoughts on this swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
its to your interpretation. It’s what you think happens during a shift. If you think the weight doesn’t shift until the front foot is down or until the foot has pressure, then ok. I think otherwise. I see it as a transfer inside the body. Captured, harnessed and used when thought to do so.

View attachment 21310
This has little to do with the post but i like the way Machado back foot is toed in. It creates coil with less movement and keep head(eyes) quieter. That is a great swing.

Jun 8, 2016
this is why ‘shift’ is so hard to understand when it comes to a swing.
It is hard but what makes it harder is when somebody uses the word shift to describe something which doesn't have a position in space associated with it..Things do get "rearranged" as the hitter moves out and one way of describing that would be a change in a hitters center of mass (or gravity..)....NOT a change in the hitters weight, nose length, hair color, etc.

Also what does "accept" mean in the context of a shift? When the COG has finished its shift forward in the body? When the COG initiates its shift forward the body?
Something else?

I know you just want me to just answer the dang question ( :LOL: ) , but I cannot answer a question in which I don't know how the words are being used...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Jun 8, 2016
Can you dumb it down to my level, please?
BW=bodyweight
GRFz= force measured by the scale
So based upon that study, a peak scale measurement during the stride would be 92% of what it would read if the hitter was just standing on it..

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It is hard but what makes it harder is when somebody uses the word shift to describe something which doesn't have a position in space associated with it..Things do get "rearranged" as the hitter moves out and one way of describing that would be a change in a hitters center of mass (or gravity..)....NOT a change in the hitters weight, nose length, hair color, etc.

Also what does "accept" mean in the context of a shift? When the COG has finished its shift forward in the body? When the COG initiates its shift forward the body?
Something else?

I know you just want me to just answer the dang question ( :LOL: ) , but I cannot answer a question in which I don't know how the words are being used...

please cue the Einstein quote for yourself. 😜

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Pattar. Do you think the weight stays on the back leg until the swing launches? If so, thanks. If not, where does it go? When does it? How do the best control it?

Jun 8, 2016
I changed the wording to make more sense..

Pattar. Do you think the front foot has no pressure acting on it until the swing launches?
Of course not, that is a stupid premise unless the hitter launches with his front foot off the ground. That isn't the right question though as you are just taking things to the extreme in tribute to your buddy. The better question in this regards, is what do you want the distribution to be between the front and back foot (otherwise measure by the COP) at swing launch..

To me, the more important question is the hitter balanced, e.g. the COG is between the feet, when they are ready to launch

If not, where does it go?
Once the foot hits the ground the pressure on the front foot will increase and the pressure on the back foot will decrease...
When does it?
Continuously..
How do the best control it?
Jedi mind tricks..

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I changed the wording to make more sense..

Of course not, that is a stupid premise unless the hitter launches with his front foot off the ground. That isn't the right question though as you are just taking things to the extreme in tribute to your buddy. The better question is what do you want the distribution to be between the front and back foot (otherwise measure by the COP) at swing launch..

Once the foot hits the ground the pressure on the front foot will increase and the pressure on the back foot will decrease...

Continuously..

Jedi mind tricks..

lmao. I’m not yoda. I’m trying real hard here. I guess we can put this on the shelf until some other time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13