Just Launch or Launch and Direct

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I would say launch and let the brain take over. Once inertia is broken the path of the bat is easily adjusted.

An example would be holding a hitting stick at the top of the zone and dropping it to near knee level as the batter swings. Practically every time they automatically adjust and make good contact. Not so going low to high for physical reasons of course.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
the feeling of “throwing the barrel“
Dissecting this a little would be interesting. What is your precise instruction, 'throw the barrel' or 'feel like you're throwing the barrel'? The two cues are very different. One puts the hitter's attention on the barrel, the other puts the attention on a feeling that is very vague (pressure somewhere in the top hand?). The first cue is external, the second internal.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD actually throws table legs. Learn to throw them right, middle and left. Direct the energy. Left handed Frisbee throws helps too. Ever use a Line Drive Pro? Acuna does.

Oct 26, 2019
Dissecting this a little would be interesting. What is your precise instruction, 'throw the barrel' or 'feel like you're throwing the barrel'? The two cues are very different. One puts the hitter's attention on the barrel, the other puts the attention on a feeling that is very vague (pressure somewhere in the top hand?). The first cue is external, the second internal.
That’s the fun part of hitting instruction. To me “throwing the barrel” is accelerating the barrel in front of the hands. If that cue didn’t accomplish that for a hitter, then I would have to try and find another way to communicate it to get that to happen. When I do private lessons, I always start by telling the hitters “I can only tell you what worked for me as a hitter who had success and what has worked for other players I have coached that said it really helped them.” The goal is to find what works for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    938.6 KB · Views: 5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles