Just Launch or Launch and Direct

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Interested in discussing this topic. Basically are you trying to put the bat on the ball or do you simply launch your swing and let the brain/hands take over? I do believe that the thought of trying to “put the bat on the ball” can cause some issues (pushy swing). How would each thought effect adjustability? Anyway, just something I was thinking about.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
if your hands are behind your center then you’re using everything. If they are not or too far behind, you won’t.

Edit: you teach them to create centripetal force. Sequence.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think it’s similar to shooting a basketbal. With good form the brain can calculate how much arc and force to apply to the basketball to send the ball through the hoop and catching nothing but net.

I think you want the same in hitting.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
are you trying to put the bat on the ball or do you simply launch your swing and let the brain/hands take over?
Aren't these things sequential? The first thing is an intention, the second is the effect. I'm thinking that you need an internal swing cue to interfere with the swing itself.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This why you practice low tee (12") and high tee (chin high) and create line drives. Over and over. If you create a stretch and good launch position (balanced, shoulders slightly downhill and knob point at catcher. Then just LAUNCH. The task (visualization) you set is create a line drive and let the super computer (brain) figure out the problem. You have already hit 150 line drives this week at practice. The less conscious thought the better.
Not saying you don't work on things and have cues and drills but when in the box at gametime you got to trust and launch and be confident that the practice you put in will pay dividends.
The cue "put the bat on the ball" is weak sauce, IMO.

Sep 19, 2018
If you are just trying make contact you are in trouble to begin with. I don't think that you can tell what kind of deficiency will be caused by thinking too much or about the wrong thing. It will be different for everyone.

@Shawn I don't think you need good form for the brain / body to calculate. Obviously bad mechanics will put a limit on success. But we see less than perfect shooting or hitting mechanics at the highest level. The key is consistency in the mechanics. and of course the athletic ability to make up the lost 'time to contact’ for those inefficiencies.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles