Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
No, I'm not saying I see it early. I'm saying when has it ever been according to the HLP to load it "Early"? The way I have always understood was to be in sync with a stride etc. Just like AJ. When was he ever now or in the past , loading the scap early or later?

As far as the obliques are concerned, I thought you guys want the obliques and core to be against the hips?

Maybe I should be clearer.. the scap crap was before he got forward. Now it is different. It’s it’s later. As it should be. It’s really a reaction. A no teach 99% of the time.

Didn’t I say obliques against the hips? Every part is against the previous part. So it can speed up.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe I should be clearer.. the scap crap was before he got forward. Now it is different. It’s it’s later. As it should be. It’s really a reaction. A no teach 99% of the time.

Didn’t I say obliques against the hips? Every part is against the previous part. So it can speed up.
FWIW if Rich changed this aspect of HLP it must have been several years ago. When he still had his website (for all I know he still may...), there were discussions in the free area that discussed this.

I was never a paying member but would often visit the free portion so that I could better follow the arguments that were occurring at the time. Howe (known elsewhere as One Chapter Ahead) would make a series of posts that seemed as though he was talking to himself. But after researching I was able to determine that TeacherMan was replying to 1CA's posts on his own site. Since 1CA was banned from Rich's site, he posted his rebuttals on DFP. Those were some interesting times... Same debate but needed to follow it on two sites...

Dec 12, 2020
Just using their terms. The speed doesn’t come from the scaps. They clamp onto back so the hands can fling forward with the chest via the obliques against the hips.

Do you see any scap crap early? I do not. If you do you have been in TMs world too long. I know this pattern bc I teach this pattern.

View attachment 26639

View attachment 26640

Edit: Mike spoke of AJ and his shoulder rotation. That was his early scap crap that is now gone. He wasn’t able to fling anything but his barrel before.

W, I am a fan of your dds swing, but I don't "see" the same feels in these two videos, I hope that doesn't sound too ludicrous.
Having swung a bat alot over the years, albeit I'm just a dad, I see the feeling of different power here...and not because one is 6'7". Obviously my amateur reference point may be misleading.
A feeling of what I would consider of kinda getting "behind the ball." The different vantage points may be misleading me too however.

Oct 2, 2017

"They clamp onto back so the hands can fling forward with the chest via the obliques against the hips." You stated this which I took as you meaning that is a bad thing of the obliques against the hips. Thats all, just a simply misunderstanding I guess

Anyhow,

I just don't see anything majorly fundamentally different in his swing. Not saying that there aren't differences, I just see it simply as he has figured out his timing window for the fastball for his swing. and the fact that he has figured it out has allowed him do control his movements better. If there is a big standout difference it would be his initial handset

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"They clamp onto back so the hands can fling forward with the chest via the obliques against the hips." You stated this which I took as you meaning that is a bad thing of the obliques against the hips. Thats all, just a simply misunderstanding I guess

Anyhow,

I just don't see anything majorly fundamentally different in his swing. Not saying that there aren't differences, I just see it simply as he has figured out his timing window for the fastball for his swing. and the fact that he has figured it out has allowed him do control his movements better. If there is a big standout difference it would be his initial handset

Ok. You call it timing. Some of us have been calling it leverage. The angles have changed. So the timing has changed. So the outcome has changed. Correct?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
W, I am a fan of your dds swing, but I don't "see" the same feels in these two videos, I hope that doesn't sound too ludicrous.
Having swung a bat alot over the years, albeit I'm just a dad, I see the feeling of different power here...and not because one is 6'7". Obviously my amateur reference point may be misleading.
A feeling of what I would consider of kinda getting "behind the ball." The different vantage points may be misleading me too however.

They’re not a match but are pulling from the same pool. The middle. The load pattern is very similar to what I shared back in July I think. Pretty close to when AJ really changed his load ‘look’. I’m not looking for kudos. I’m just pointing out changes in the pattern. I couldn’t care less. I’ve learned/stole from many other coaches here and elsewhere. Just identifying things.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
FWIW if Rich changed this aspect of HLP it must have been several years ago. When he still had his website (for all I know he still may...), there were discussions in the free area that discussed this.

I was never a paying member but would often visit the free portion so that I could better follow the arguments that were occurring at the time. Howe (known elsewhere as One Chapter Ahead) would make a series of posts that seemed as though he was talking to himself. But after researching I was able to determine that TeacherMan was replying to 1CA's posts on his own site. Since 1CA was banned from Rich's site, he posted his rebuttals on DFP. Those were some interesting times... Same debate but needed to follow it on two sites...

Dunno what to say here. Am I having a debate w TM? I don’t think so. I tried last year. He didn’t want any part of me.

Oct 2, 2017
Ok. You call it timing. Some of us have been calling it leverage. The angles have changed. So the timing has changed. So the outcome has changed. Correct?
If any hitter changes a mechanical thing, it will affect his timing, but I'm saying he corrected his timing which affected his "angles/leverage. Simply fact, you fix your timing, it will slow things down, allowing the body to move more efficiently, IMO. You don't go to your mechanical tool box to fix timing ~ Matt Nokes. I 100% agree, unless something is very out of wack mechanical wise. So, that being said, I don't "feel" (I don't know what Judge worked on personally) like AJ went to his mechanical tool box and said I need to fix my angles and point of leverage in order to fix things. I think he he probable said I need to figure timing for my swing, which will allow me to have better angles. IMO

Hopefully that makes sense.

Edit, I never understood HLP as a pattern that doesn't want any leverage from the front side (which I assume is what you mean by leverage)

Jun 8, 2016
If any hitter changes a mechanical thing, it will affect his timing, but I'm saying he corrected his timing which affected his "angles/leverage. Simply fact, you fix your timing, it will slow things down, allowing the body to move more efficiently, IMO. You don't go to your mechanical tool box to fix timing ~ Matt Nokes. I 100% agree, unless something is very out of wack mechanical wise. So, that being said, I don't "feel" (I don't know what Judge worked on personally) like AJ went to his mechanical tool box and said I need to fix my angles and point of leverage in order to fix things. I think he he probable said I need to figure timing for my swing, which will allow me to have better angles. IMO

Hopefully that makes sense.
I don't disagree with this (Noles' statement) if the problem is actually timing but if you have been in the big leagues for what? 5 or 6 years, and you still have timing issues you probably don't have timing issues..something else is awry. Same thing with all of these fastpitch players we see complaining about the pitching being too slow..it is too slow because you have flaws in your mechanics which don't allow you to adjust properly.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 2, 2017
I don't disagree with this if the problem is actually timing but if you have been in the big leagues for what? 5 or 6 years, and you still have timing issues you probably don't have timing issues..
Maybe, maybe not.

Edit: Like the video I shared with W, I just don't see a major fundamentally different swing. I would think a player who is making mechanical changes might have a short burst of success, but is generally short lived. Or they are very streaky. One who gets the timing window for their particular swing down, generally stays more consistent. At leas that's what I think would be the case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad