Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is the truth I’ve been looking for , thank you. I don’t understand why you take a position of being an expert on HLP to others that might want to explore and find out for themself. My response , You don’t know , is based on your responses in explaining HLP. You can disagree and show tummy twisting hitting mechanics with accompanying golf videos for all of us but when you act like the HLP expert shame on you.

There isn’t a need to be an expert when you see the product and the results beforehand and afterward. Anyone can read a heat map and look at video and see the other students that use HLP. And understand what is working and what isn’t. 🤷🏽‍♂️ There quite a few examples here and abroad to diagnose things.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No. Well I do like delivering the barrel from the shoulder, ‘corner’. I do like Umm umm, I can’t think of anything else. Ooh yeah I like that he doesn’t believe GRF are a thing. It’s about the player. You can’t put more into the ground you can only swing within your body and your timing.
Apparently there has been some revision in "the corner" as well. I have never seen Rich define it as you did here. Back in the day the corner really had nothing to do with the shoulders. Perhaps that is a recent change.

Jun 8, 2016
so @pattar and @clemenslee1 you guys think the forward move isn’t mechanically based?
Where did I say that? I certainly don't think electromagnetic forces move you out..(hmm..that gives me an idea for Marcela..me with a huge magnet in CF..)

I am getting bored with this thread..I think everyone has adequately made whatever point they have..

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where did I say that? I certainly don't think electromagnetic forces move you out..(hmm..that gives me an idea for Marcela..me with a huge magnet in CF..)

I am getting bored with this thread..I think everyone has adequately made whatever point they have..

I thought when you agreed w CL about nokes notion on timing? If you can’t time you can’t hit it best. 5 or 6 yrs has nothing to do w it.

Jun 8, 2016
I thought when you agreed w CL about nokes notion on timing? If you can’t time you can’t hit it best. 5 or 6 yrs has nothing to do w it.
Sometimes the problem is just timing (eg first few games of ST) and sometimes mechanics don’t allow for good timing..That is what I was saying.

Jun 8, 2016
A few years ago some team threw a kid against OU who was mid 50’s tops. Shut them down first time through the order. Second time through they scored like 15 runs..Conversely my kid’s team often can go a whole game and never figure out how to hit a slow pitcher. What’s the difference? (I will give a hint, one of those teams has good hitters and the other has kids who, well let’s just say they are still “learning”)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A few years ago some team threw a kid against OU who was mid 50’s tops. Shut them down first time through the order. Second time through they scored like 15 runs..Conversely my kid’s team often can go a whole game and never figure out how to hit a slow pitcher. What’s the difference? (I will give a hint, one of those teams has good hitters and the other has kids who, well let’s just say they are still “learning”)
There is a reason that someone who used to post here referred to timing as the Holy Grail of hitting.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is a reason that someone who used to post here referred to timing as the Holy Grail of hitting.
This is true. Timing trumps mechanics. Bad timing will result in poor mechanics too. If you are early you might cast (hands come off the shoulder early) almost in the attempt to slow the barrel down in order to make contact. If you are late you might get handsy/armsy in order to make contact. There are plenty of players in MLB that have less than perfect mechanics BUT the have great eye/hand coordination and timing.
Like this:

or this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06