Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A lot of hitters, especially young, and an experienced ones, will slow their hands down in order to adjust to the timing of a slower pitch. They can still be on time with the pitch by doing this, it’s just not a great way to hit the ball hard.

Ugh. Yes. We stress not "swinging slow" just because the pitch is slow. This happens because they don't understand starting later (thinking about a pitcher who is always slow, and not a pitcher changing speeds). I have no idea how to practice this though. Simply throwing slow front toss doesn't seem to get the job done.

Oct 26, 2019
If you think this is good advice for all pitching (and it seems pretty solid to me..) then what does this say about their mechanics in general that you have to tell them to do it for slow pitching?
Not to open up a “feel vs real” can of worms, but the feeling of waiting very so much hitter to hitter. I think each hitter would describe it in a different way. Good mechanics and a good load can help you with timing for sure. Some kids can have all that though and still can be jumpy and anxious and not have tempo. Some dancers can hit all the right steps, but have no rhythm in a similar way. At some point you just have to let the ball get to you right? And I also wonder how to often kids practice hitting slow pitching. Probably not very much.

Jun 8, 2016
Not to open up a “feel vs real” can of worms, but the feeling of waiting very so much hitter to hitter. I think each hitter would describe it in a different way. Good mechanics and a good load can help you with timing for sure. Some kids can have all that though and still can be jumpy and anxious and not have tempo. Some dancers can hit all the right steps, but have no rhythm in a similar way. At some point you just have to let the ball get to you right? And I also wonder how to often kids practice hitting slow pitching. Probably not very much.
There is obviously a pure timing aspect to it but hitters who hit better in general off of all pitching seem to be able to adjust better (to slower pitching).

Best 14u around here hit 17 bombs in 15 MS games against mostly lousy pitching..

Here is her hitting one RH in a MS game because she already hit two LH :ROFLMAO: (you can see the level of pitching..)

Oct 26, 2019
There is obviously a pure timing aspect to it but hitters who hit better in general off of all pitching seem to be able to adjust better (to slower pitching).

Best 14u around here hit 17 bombs in 15 MS games against mostly lousy pitching..

Here is her hitting one RH in a MS game because she already hit two LH :ROFLMAO: (you can see the level of pitching..)

I would definitely agree with that. Truly great hitters absolutely murder crap pitching.

Dec 12, 2020
Imo one of the benefits of HLP framework is the emphasis and training of the sudden [rearward] launch.

My ds did some work with gritNJ when he was in town once and ds' takeaway was his hands fire "as fast as he can." It's ingrained. He's only 8 but his bat gets up to speed pretty well, though it may not always be pretty..

Certainlt some athletes just get it, (and ds is not one of them) but a majority of the ball players, particularly at a younger age, don't get it. I hear "be quicker" all the time or "fast hands" and it means nothing to them. So habits (good luck having different habits for different pitching) with a 'slow' drag and/or push to a pitch get exposed when you don't understand the quickness that is possible, learning to trust yourself to wait on anything.

Dec 12, 2020
Who is gritNJ?
Sorry, he's an HLP instructor...not sure if he actually fashions himself as one though.

Justin Gerardo is his name. He worked with my ds for a couple hours as he was passing through StL...I will say, no matter philosophy, he was incredibly patient and worked very well with him, I think he was 7 at the time lol.

May 21, 2018

Love watching this girl hit. She looks totally relaxed and then explodes when the time comes. This is contrary to what I watch
every weekend, which is more akin to someone bungy jumping for the first time.

Jun 8, 2016
Love watching this girl hit. She looks totally relaxed and then explodes when the time comes. This is contrary to what I watch
every weekend, which is more akin to someone bungy jumping for the first time.
This one was against Marcela’s TB team..not sure if it landed yet. I told the HC you can perhaps get in on her hands and the pitch before that she did and Goose fouled it off. The pitch below was definitely not in on her hands 😂 Next AB pitcher threw 4 pitches a combined 40 ft off the plate even though coach told her to go after her (DD’s team was actually beating them 7-2 I think)

Oct 26, 2019
This one was against Marcela’s TB team..not sure if it landed yet. I told the HC you can perhaps get in on her hands and the pitch before that she did and Goose fouled it off. The pitch below was definitely not in on her hands 😂 Next AB pitcher threw 4 pitches a combined 40 ft off the plate even though coach told her to go after her (DD’s team was actually beating them 7-2 I think)

She has a very simple swing. Not a lot of moving parts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802