Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
There is an instructor around here who has every kid go no stride. You also have hitters who get no instruction and still rake. Then there is a lot of grey area in between when it comes to "cookie cutter"..Does that clarify things? :ROFLMAO:

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks. Chaos? Maybe be wrong. It was reverse kinetics, just a swing up the middle. I have the video.

Do you reconfigure the entire sequence OR just stretch a little longer on a off speed?

Off speed has to be anticipated and recognized. You gotta load w the intent of hitting a fastball later. Then the body should be able to ‘stay back’ long enough to wait if something slower comes. I mentioned this in a post a few pages ago. Timing should be dictated by your situations/counts. With 2 strikes you concede ‘out front’ and back the ball up. If you happen to get an inside heater you gotta get to it earlier via the front foot or foul it off.

I don’t teach to stretch more. I find that just makes things to long throughout the course of the sequence. I like Ted and Bonds approach where the stride is shorter, the weight shift is tighter. They both gather back first then stride. More Controlled imo. Does that answer your question?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't think this thread has helped anyone with all the bitching and complaining back in forth. Newer guy commenting from a far. 🤷‍♂️

How about all the legit coaches/instructors here, make your threads and then give information to help kids...so you can give something they can take, adapt and work with. Then we don't get the messy "my way is better" garbage filler.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't think this thread has helped anyone with all the bitching and complaining back in forth. Newer guy commenting from a far. 🤷‍♂️

How about all the legit coaches/instructors here, make your threads and then give information to help kids...so you can give something they can take, adapt and work with. Then we don't get the messy "my way is better" garbage filler.
Now, I am really out of this thread.

Billy, it is all really here. While there are disagreements, if you take the time to take in what is being argued, that is where you really can learn. Here is another thread for you to go look at when you get a chance:

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/pattern-sequence.29859/

Jun 8, 2016
Billy, it is all really here. While there are disagreements, if you take the time to take in what is being argued, that is where you really can learn.
It is 2022..the information has to be instant otherwise it isn’t useful..ask me how I know.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Stretching the core eccentrically and concentrically. Disassociation. Getting the bb behind the hips.
I did not mention this earlier. I appreciated seeing the clip of your dd. She looks to be strong and athletic. That's a great combination. Yikes on the distance and height of that fence.