State of play: Trophy Kids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This type of documentary is a radical take on some of the paths some human beings may take to try to advance their child and the parents associated with them.

It in no way represents the vast majority of parents who are raising their kids to be athletes. Sure, we all can get crazy every once and a while. We all lose control, and can embarassingly admit sometimes we consider stretching the rules a bit to gain an advantage. It is the nature of sport.

We all, as sports parents, should be very proud of how we are raising our children. The passion, the pride, and the time spent with our kids far outweigh just about any other activity. Take solace in that alone my friends, it is all good, and will serve your children very well in life whatever paths they may choose.

For those who go far and above acceptable practices to advance their kids, become slave-drivers, introduce harmful chemicals to their bodies, it is a shame. In reality, how hard they may try, it is the work ethic the player has within them, combined with the god-given DNA which determines success the vast majority of the time.

Besides, we all live in a community, of sorts. What is the use to cheat using extraneous means. People figure it out, they really do know. You do not gain true notoriety, but mostly shame and disrespect behind closed doors.

The beautiful game of softball is all about spending valuable time with family and friends. Having a game within a set of rules, and truly enjoying each others company. This includes everyone involved, umpires, coaches, parents, directors, and players. We all have a role.

It should be celebrated in this way. Not polarized as I understand this show portrays as a radical sub-set of society which is far removed from the reality of what is really happening between genuine people in pursuit of excellence.

It is way more prevalent than you imagine. I don't see the extremes that much in softball, but in football... Oh my. Parents holding their kids back a year in school to give them more of an advantage when they are Seniors in HS... Yes, it does happen, and it happens all over the country. Even seen it in baseball and basketball players as well. Don't even look at gymnastics, or figure skating...

I'm with you that the majority of parents aren't that extreme, and most are pretty good people most of the time, but I also think there are a lot more demanding parents (and in the extreme way) than you realize

Jul 2, 2013
It is way more prevalent than you imagine. I don't see the extremes that much in softball, but in football... Oh my. Parents holding their kids back a year in school to give them more of an advantage when they are Seniors in HS... Yes, it does happen, and it happens all over the country. Even seen it in baseball and basketball players as well. Don't even look at gymnastics, or figure skating...

I'm with you that the majority of parents aren't that extreme, and most are pretty good people most of the time, but I also think there are a lot more demanding parents (and in the extreme way) than you realize

You are probably right, as I wear rose colored glasses and look at life as a glass not only half full, but probably overflowing.

I do see it though, and have a step-relative who home schools his kids, keeps them on the playing field (won't say what sport), and is completely domineering and over the top so his kids can be what he wants them to be. Don't get me started about how good a husband he is?

I just do not think it works. Sure when the kid is young, they are great. When adults, they are basket cases.

I do know, these parents when obvious to me, do not get my respect. I have pity for the kids.

Probably the making of a good TV show though.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
I thought fastpitch had crazy parents until I talked to my colleague who has a daughter doing competitive cheerleading (she's 10)

Jul 2, 2013
As part of a softball fundraiser, we ran the concession stand for a regional dance competition.

Totally out of control with the costs, make-up, costumes, fake eyelashes, and drama. A real "eye" opener.

Aug 20, 2013
I watched part and couldn't watch much more. I can be a bit demanding in private, but I NEVER in public. I feel like you really can't fix anything in a game and you really should only be watching to see what to improve the next practice.

I can't imagine what a person who would call his kid stupid and bring him to tears would do in private if they are willing to do that publicly and on film. Dropping the f-bomb and paying money that you don't have, for what? I just don't get it. I do buy a lot of equipment and I do pay for lessons, but I own that. I don't ever think my kid owes me anything because I decided to do that. She only asked to play softball and to learn to pitch. These are jut the roads I DECIDED to take to get her there, not her. Those parents were clueless. I am sure the football kid didn't ask to be isolated at a private school from his siblings and the basketball kid didn't say "pretty please can I take 15 pills a day to make me taller." That is a parents decision.

They were delusional at best and abusive at the worst. If anyone finished watching this heartbreaking account, can you tell me if the interviewed the kids at all? Since it was called, "Trophy Kids" I hope they did, but somehow I feel filming the parents will bring in a lot more dough.

GG

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I wasn't able to watch the whole thing either, fast-forwarded to the panel discussion.
I've seen what I thought were some crazy parents, but nothing to the level that was displayed in the show.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I watched the whole thing, was quite disappointed in the show. Where were the mothers/spouses?

The panel discussion with Todd Marinovich, Peter Berg and the Sport Psychologist was good, but not long enough.

As someone else said, if you haven't already, read up on Todd Marinovich. His story is quite daunting.

They did follow up with the football player Justus, but didn't interview any of the other kids.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I watched the whole thing, was quite disappointed in the show. Where were the mothers/spouses?

The panel discussion with Todd Marinovich, Peter Berg and the Sport Psychologist was good, but not long enough.

As someone else said, if you haven't already, read up on Todd Marinovich. His story is quite daunting.
They did follow up with the football player Justus, but didn't interview any of the other kids.

ESPN's 30 for 30 Documentary Review: "The Marinovich Project" | Bleacher Report
Todd Marinovich was groomed from infancy to be a - 02.22.88 - SI Vault

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I watched it with my wife and one of my DDs. I was appalled at the way those fathers treated their children. The "God Mom" was just as creepy as the dads, though. I will admit to being tough on my girls at their games, but never anywhere near what those people did.

Just an FYI, what they showed on HBO was just a small part of the whole documentary. You can watch the whole thing on HBO GO, it's almost two hours long without the panel at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle