The underlying issue could be

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
I don't think most people really understand the impact of how our nation responded to COVID wrt education. IMO, it is as if the vast majority skipped that year and all of the fundamental building blocks for so many classes.

I read somewhere it had a very disproportionate impact on kids in their first year of school at any level - so K, 6, 9. This year’s sophomores were in 6th grade when school didn’t go back in the fall.

My daughter was in 5th and they opened the elementary school in Oct with half the kids - because the others chose to stay online. The middle school opened in person in April. One year difference in missing 6 months of in person learning. When my daughter started 6th the teachers commented it was like having two 6th grade classes at the same time.

Jun 18, 2023
It's the _athlete's_ decision
I read somewhere it had a very disproportionate impact on kids in their first year of school at any level - so K, 6, 9. This year’s sophomores were in 6th grade when school didn’t go back in the fall.

My daughter was in 5th and they opened the elementary school in Oct with half the kids - because the others chose to stay online. The middle school opened in person in April. One year difference in missing 6 months of in person learning. When my daughter started 6th the teachers commented it was like having two 6th grade classes at the same time.

plenty of argument of "who had it worse?!". My daughter was in Kindergarten. It was rough but I ultimately don't think anything was 'lost' in terms of where she'd be now, going into 5th grade. It's hard to say though, because I think a lot of parents chose to just repeat Kindergarten or 1st grade at that point. If I had to guess, the middle school kids that may have missed out on fundamental building blocks of things they'd be directly building on (algebra, etc) the following years, when schools/states were desperate to try to 'forget' Covid happened (is still happening) and put no thought into mitigating expectations or grading on a curve in terms of curriculum goals, benchmarks, etc.

Regardless, it was BETTER for some kids. There are a lot of kids that found the remote options more appealing, easily to participate in, and generally excelled. Just like an athlete's body language on the bench, in the field isn't one size fits all, neither is the classroom.

Covid hurt us more in sports I think, we're a small town and that 2020 year of Softball was canceled, and 2021 was maybe nerfed, depending. For us, this means there were a lot of on the fence kids +/- a year or two that just ..did other things and now don't play, which has left us scrambling with numbers and forced kids to play up more than they would've otherwise.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
It's the _athlete's_ decision
✔️

Covid hurt us more in sports I think, we're a small town and that 2020 year of Softball was canceled, and 2021 was maybe nerfed, depending. For us, this means there were a lot of on the fence kids +/- a year or two that just ..did other things and now don't play, which has left us scrambling with numbers and forced kids to play up more than they would've otherwise.
in so cal covid closed calif Fields.
Consequently split the group of those who found teams that were still competing, found interesting places to practice and for games drove to Arizona, maybe Texas also. Vs. those that may have done nothing.

May 29, 2015
To the original question . . . If we are talking about a noticeable change in a player's demeanor, I think you have to address it right away. That first one may not be a full out conversation, but a check-in. Of course, your progression will vary by age level.

"Hey, I noticed you aren't quite yourself out there today. Anything you need to talk about?" Then give them a little space. If nothing changes, start moving that conversation up the ladder with the player and "their people."

If we are just talking about an athlete that comes out with a bad disposition, have the conversation right away. "I'd like to have a quick talk about what I look for . . . you have talent, but I look for more than just that. If you are wanting to advance your playing career, I can guarantee people look at more than that. Here is what I am seeing . . . "

Many kids don't even realize they exhibiting those demeanors. Some will course correct, some . . . well, that's just who some of them are.

May 3, 2023
To the original question . . . If we are talking about a noticeable change in a player's demeanor, I think you have to address it right away. That first one may not be a full out conversation, but a check-in. Of course, your progression will vary by age level.

"Hey, I noticed you aren't quite yourself out there today. Anything you need to talk about?" Then give them a little space. If nothing changes, start moving that conversation up the ladder with the player and "their people."

If we are just talking about an athlete that comes out with a bad disposition, have the conversation right away. "I'd like to have a quick talk about what I look for . . . you have talent, but I look for more than just that. If you are wanting to advance your playing career, I can guarantee people look at more than that. Here is what I am seeing . . . "

Many kids don't even realize they exhibiting those demeanors. Some will course correct, some . . . well, that's just who some of them are.

This happened twice in 20+ years of HS coaching: both times to Freshmen.
First time player was standing in outfield stating, she couldn’t see!
My Assistant and I ran to her , got her on ground, put feet up in case it was Shock. Had to send two players the two hundred yards to the school to call the ambulance, no cell service on field.
Our second thought was Diabetes, even though no medical or family history of it, due to vision problem.
Second thought was dehydration!
We gave her some Gatorade!
In retrospect, that probably saved her life, the Paramedics were luckily based 1/2 mile from the school. Upon arriving and hearing symptoms and doing the usual BP, pulse, skin color, they did a blood glucose test, result: a count of 30, which is close to unconsciousness level.
They administered glucose and transported her to ER.
The doctors could find no physical reason for that low reading!
Her own pediatrician said it could have been caused by a hormone imbalance as part of her puberty!
Second instance, was a player walking off field feeling faint, I called 911, checked pulse, breathing, color, then gave her some Gatorade, because of first instance.
Upon arriving, ambulance gave her usual tests and at my urging a glucose test, her result was 35! Normal blood glucose is around 80!
Again the doctors could find no reason for her hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
Neither player ever exhibited any similar symptoms and both those incidents were over 10 yrs ago!
They happened 3 yrs and 30 miles apart, so it wasn’t caused by any common local exposures.
In both cases, the docs thought they were caused by hormone imbalances due to puberty.
Luckily, I’m type 2 Diabetic and always have some sort of sugar on hand.
So coaches, when an adolescent girl says she’s not feeling well, she just may not be lazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coachtomri