State of play: Trophy Kids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I have a feeling it has a very liberal bent and the producers would rather see kids that stay home all day dorking around on their computers. I'm sure it has good points, but we have to remember it's a reality show and edited to show only the things the producers want you to see.

-W
With all due respect to you and at the risk of going into a realm verboten here on DFP, I feel compelled to say that the executive producers of this documentary are friends of mine and there's very little about them that could be considered 'liberal' outside of their philanthropy. Not only are they good people, but Jake & Kristal are both lifestyle bodybuilders/strength athletes who devote significant time and resources to helping others pursue their activity-based goals.

One of the reasons they decided to back this project was that they were really impressed with director Chris Bell's work on 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster', which should be required viewing for any high-level athlete parent who hopes to have an honest, informed dialogue with their child about PEDs and for any talking head in the sports media who doesn't want to sound clueless when talking about same.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Liberals don't put their kids in sports? News to me, and I think I would have heard.
Plenty of conservative parents have kids home dorking around on their computers, and maybe day-trading.
It is a documentary, but yes it will still come down to editing, reality shows just don't have to burn as much tape.

I'm pretty liberal and I agree with SS, I would much prefer my daughters play on their computers all day, or better yet, spend the day tending to their Obama altar and applying for welfare. I am hoping this is just a phase and they will grow out of it quickly and get a good jump on their drug abuse and promiscuity.

Apr 16, 2013
Well, after watching that, my heart aches for some of those kids. They don't want to play sports like that, they just want to please their parents.

Jul 2, 2013
This type of documentary is a radical take on some of the paths some human beings may take to try to advance their child and the parents associated with them.

It in no way represents the vast majority of parents who are raising their kids to be athletes. Sure, we all can get crazy every once and a while. We all lose control, and can embarassingly admit sometimes we consider stretching the rules a bit to gain an advantage. It is the nature of sport.

We all, as sports parents, should be very proud of how we are raising our children. The passion, the pride, and the time spent with our kids far outweigh just about any other activity. Take solace in that alone my friends, it is all good, and will serve your children very well in life whatever paths they may choose.

For those who go far and above acceptable practices to advance their kids, become slave-drivers, introduce harmful chemicals to their bodies, it is a shame. In reality, how hard they may try, it is the work ethic the player has within them, combined with the god-given DNA which determines success the vast majority of the time.

Besides, we all live in a community, of sorts. What is the use to cheat using extraneous means. People figure it out, they really do know. You do not gain true notoriety, but mostly shame and disrespect behind closed doors.

The beautiful game of softball is all about spending valuable time with family and friends. Having a game within a set of rules, and truly enjoying each others company. This includes everyone involved, umpires, coaches, parents, directors, and players. We all have a role.

It should be celebrated in this way. Not polarized as I understand this show portrays as a radical sub-set of society which is far removed from the reality of what is really happening between genuine people in pursuit of excellence.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm sure you could find bad parents in every endeavor that takes some practice. Forcing them to practice violin, or piano, or to keep going with acting,etc. I see some bad parents and have had a time or 2 that I can take back, but I think the positives at least for the teams my DD are way higher than any negatives. Heck I see kids in farm team 5 and 6 year old kids who have parents that yell at them.

Nov 29, 2009
I'm sure you could find bad parents in every endeavor that takes some practice.

Toddlers in Tiaras. Need I say more???

My job brings me into contact sometimes with the dad of a girl who I've been working with for last few years. Today was one of those days. He introduced me to a woman and tells her I'm his DD's pitching coach. The mom says she coaches 10U's. Then she says "My daughter wants to pitch. She just doesn't know it yet." I looked at the mom and said her daughter knows already she doesn't want to pitch. Otherwise, she'd be asking about learning how to pitch. The dejected looking mom knew I was right. But I don't think that will stop her.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My wife was treating an 11 year old girl for an elbow injury. Sparing any details because I don't know them. But the kid told my wife that she had to move her therapy appointment because of pitching practice. The kid was at PT because of an injury on her pitching arm, and she still was going to her pitching lessons. My wife asked the mother and she confirmed that the dad insisted that she should still go to her lessons because its not that big of a deal and if she missed to many lessons she wouldn't get into college. Oh and the kicker, in order to make her weekly lesson the kid had to leave school an hour early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle