Should we teach the fastball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I always tell the bucket parents to be ready for a fastball when we call for a change during a lesson, just in case. It's saved many a forehead.

Excellent advise, Ken. Since switching dd to Bobby Smith, I have two broken toes - though they seem to be healing nicely, and got hit in the mouth about a week ago. Bobby insisted I buy a mask, it was delivered the day after the pop in the kisser.

Jan 23, 2009
IMO, the fastball can be thrown up through 18U but NOT as a out pitch. If you have some velocity (My DD just turned 16 tops out at 60MPH), the fastball is still pretty effective as an up speed change and for moving batters feet by busting it on the hands. She then can go to the other side of the plate with curve or backdoor screwball and often get called strikes. I would agree that you are not going to throw fastball in the zone at 14U and up unless you absolutly need a strike and that's the only thing working.

Dec 30, 2009
I once had a dad tell me that the coach from the opposing team came up to him after a high school varsity game and told him that his daughter( the dad's daughter) who had just struck-out 16 of his team's batters in 7 innings would have a heck of a fastball someday if she would learn to get" the drop out of it." Now that's what I call " fixed thinking" when an opposing pitcher strikes out 16 of your players and you are critical of her fastball because it is moving too much!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA