Do softball pitches "move"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It is movement. Not sure whether it is noticeable.
Again, I'll challenge you to sit on a bucket and catch my daughter's curve and tell me it's not noticable.

Diamond Kinetics is good for spin, RPM, and axis, but it's not accurate for speed. If your daughter isn't a pitcher, don't waste your money.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, you have to define "movement". "Absolute movement" means the flight path of the ball is different than the expected flight path of a ball with zero spin. "Relative movement" is the deviation of the flight path from the

Apr 12, 2015
In this guide, all the number was rounded up. However, look at the break in inches. So with this bumped-up data, the elite college pitcher's curve ball moves 6 inches. It is movement. Not sure whether it is noticeable. Bottomline, it really doesn't move that much. But maybe we don't need a lot of movement to fool the batter?

Be careful, you might hurt your back with as much moving of the goalposts as you are doing.

You had two questions/statements:

The first was does a softball move? The answer, obviously even from your own data, is yes.

The second was can a girl spin a ball at 19rps. Again, the answer is obviously yes, even from your own data.

Now if you want to be more specific and ask if a 12U pitcher is going to get 6" of break (That much break is pointless, but that's beside this point) or if a 12U kid can achieve 19rps, that's a different statement. But you made blanket statements that are obviously false, no matter how much its just about physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101