Season opener

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Well we had our first varsity game yesterday, small school, only about 15 kids out for softball in grades 7 thru 12. We did not win. In fact we lost 6-17.

I have been asked to be the "pitching" coach. I've played and coached FP since late 70's but never on the pitching side. I've got to say a big thanks to all you guys on DFP, you've been a great help. Doug Romrell has been awesome. I've studied this site for months and watched all the BH videos. Time for some new ones Bill.

This team has not won a game in a few years. So we have only to get better I guess. Our main pitcher has only pitched for about 6 months. We actually started her working on a change up last week. She through several of them yesterday and did well. She had 6K and 9BB, and only 5 of those 17 runs were earned. It was 6-9 going into the last inning and she got tired and the third time through she got hit fairly hard. She didn't start throwing since last summer until basketball got over in March, so she has some ground to work on yet. It was also her first day outside working in the circle. It's cold in Minnesota yet. Only 51% First pitch strikes so room to grow there. I got a Pocket Radar in mail today so I want to see where she is and what the change up is. New toys are always fun.

So anyways long story short I wanted to thank all you on DFP and let ya know how our first outing went.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
All thing considered 6-9 going into the last inning doesn't sound too bad. I couldn't imagine having grades 7-12 graders playing on the same team. That's quite a range of maturity and skill levels. I know Minnesota winters can get a little long. I lived in the southern part for a few years, and even down there it seemed to take forever for spring to get here.

Sep 29, 2014
Time to find those 7th and 8th graders that are really interested and do some extra work...did you have a second pitcher to put in?

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
We WON, after losing our first two games we won our game last night. down 1-2 we came back in the 5th with 4 runs to end up with a 6-2 Victory. Kids were very happy. I'm sure none of them have seen a win in their high school team. My pitcher had 7 K's and scattered 6 walks through the 7 innings. Much better progress for her. Pitches per inning have gone down and her first pitch strike percentage has gone up. Four games next week so we will see if we can progress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13