Tiny Pitchers Get No Love

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2023
With the difference being
3" & 30lbs
i'm going with whichever is more experienced and trains correctly more often will probably have the edge over the other
Tbf, that's a rather notable size difference and 95 lbs is fairly slender. I bet they look quite different next to each other.

(Not justifying a worse pitcher being played over a better one.)

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Tbf, that's a rather notable size difference and 95 lbs is fairly slender. I bet they look quite different next to each other.

(Not justifying a worse pitcher being played over a better one.)
Nothing near what the size difference could be though. And with that
3 inches and 30 lb is not that great of a difference.

I do not think that variable /comparison in size is going to hold back or advance either pitcher.> comparing to each other.
How they carry and handle their body is more impactful.

* comparing to each other I think how they train is more important than either of their size

How about you,
What do you think is more important...
their size or their training?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
Nothing near what the size difference could be though. And with that
3 inches and 30 lb is not that great of a difference.

I do not think that variable /comparison in size is going to hold back or advance either pitcher.> comparing to each other.
How they carry and handle their body is more impactful.

* comparing to each other I think how they train is more important than either of their size

How about you,
What do you think is more important...
their size or their training?
I think most coaches are mediocre at best at both evaluation and development, and they know their best chance to not stink is to pick up the biggest kids possible.

Apr 26, 2019
My DD has been playing softball 6 years and has been pitching the last 3.5 (starting 14u now). Her stats are usually better than most of the pitchers on the teams she plays with and has historically done really well. The only issue is she tends to physically be on the smaller side compared to a lot of the girls on the team. Because of this, whenever she joins a new team, she usually begins the season on the bench. It's not until a few games later that the coaches realize how good she does and then she slowly begins to replace the current starting/bracket pitcher. I'm happy that she ultimately ends up in a good spot but it's just exhausting that every season it feels like she automatically starts at a disadvantage just because of her size. I know that's life and life's not fair but just curious if any other parents with smaller sized pitchers have experienced the same thing.

Honest questions for you? How does she feel? Is she unhappy to not start or is it just you who is unhappy?

Who is it exhausting for, you or your daughter? Why is it exhausting?

Does she complain or does she just go about her business and work hard, be a good teammate, and play and enjoy the game?

Do you go to her club ball or m.s. coaches and talk about what you think her playing time should be, as opposed to the other kids? Have you on her previous teams?

Again, I'm not having a go at you. I am just asking questions re: the situation.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022
Small kids have to prove they can play. Big kids have to prove they can't.

There's a reason why the majority of elite pitchers are close to 6 ft or taller (Pickens, Canady, Fouts, Osterman, Finch, Abbott, etc etc). Bahl is the exception the the rule.

Note that fewer that 1% of American women are taller than 6' according to the US census.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021
I have no ideal how much size matters in softball in general, or in pitching. There is no doubt there is an advantage. There are not very many women of average height playing on the top 20 teams in country, and fewer that pitch. According to healthline.com the average 20 year old female is 63.5" tall.

May 13, 2021

There's a reason why the majority of elite pitchers are close to 6 ft or taller (Pickens, Canady, Fouts, Osterman, Finch, Abbott, etc etc). Bahl is the exception the the rule.

Note that fewer that 1% of American women are taller than 6' according to the US census.

And she is 5'8" way above average.

Apr 26, 2019

Other than a trite phrase, what is the reason? Or is that the "reason" you are referencing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968