Physical Fitness Test

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
There is definitely a style to a program and who they recruit.
Interesting to see all the triggered responses from those who don't believe in fitness though.
Purposeful fitness is great. I remember when Gasso sat Alo down and told her she couldn't play until she ran a 10 minute mile and did 20 burpees in a minute. That was awesome.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There is definitely a style to a program and who they recruit.
Interesting to see all the triggered responses from those who don't believe in fitness though.
Where did anyone say that they didn't believe in fitness? My DD was pretty fit. She threw around serious weight in the weight room and did all of the cardio work required of her. She was not a long-distance runner and she was not a sprinter. As she often said, "hit em out and you don't have to run." LOL Questioning the fitness requirements does not mean that posters don't believe in fitness. Rather, they question the goals that many of the top softball players in the nation could not meet.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Wow ... She just showed up to school and went to practice?
Was this lower level?
D3. They have different rules. Absolutely no contact from the coaches until they begin their 6 weeks(IIRC) of practices. They worked directly with the strength/conditioning coaches with their personalized workouts. They also held "optional" captains practices on their own until the official practices. They can only play 21 innings against another team during this period. They usually played 2 10 inning games against local JUCO or D1 teams in the past.

It'll be different as they are transitioning to D2 in the next few years.

May 21, 2018
they question the goals that many of the top softball players in the nation could not meet.
This.....and a lot of them can't even come close. There are some genetic components involved in doing some of these exercises. My DD has very long arms....great for deadlifts (can pull 300 lbs.)...horrible for pull-ups....can do exactly 0.

Nov 19, 2020
My DD was pretty fit.
She had zero career stolen base attempts. That is just the complete opposite type of athlete that my daughter's school recruits. They look for speed, speed, speed to go along with strength and toughness. They want the best hitter showcasing as the best true athlete. If you are aren't running, you aren't playing. There are hundreds of D1 programs and there are a lot of different spices of types of play.

No way would your daughter's attitude fly at this school. Just not the culture.

It was actually you who began this thread not differentiating between high school and college fitness tests while poking fun at a mile run standard put in place by a coach.

Nov 19, 2020
Absolutely no contact from the coaches until they begin their 6 weeks(IIRC) of practices. They worked directly with the strength/conditioning coaches with their personalized workouts.
That is very interesting. So they saw the Strength & Conditioning coaches more than the softball coaches in August/Sept ?
Also interesting to hear about only 2 exhibition games and the 21 inning limit. I wonder what the official limit is for D1...because I see 80 innings right now on the schedule.

Do you know about how many games JUCO schools play in the fall? I am guessing there is no limit and they do whatever they want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym