Advice needed for 2022 recruit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2015
In addition, having a sport on your resume goes a long way when you are looking for a job.
That's a key point. A very large number of people don't know the difference between D1 and D3--much less have any idea what that says about your skill level as an athlete or the experience. For many future employers, "you played X in college" all means the same thing: you must have been really good and you probably have the sort of soft skills common to any high-level athlete (teamwork, resilience, drive, discipline, etc.) I have met more than a few people who assume (rightly or wrongly) that it must be more work to play at an academically demanding D3 than at a less academically demanding D1 because of the school work.

Jul 31, 2015
That's a key point. A very large number of people don't know the difference between D1 and D3--much less have any idea what that says about your skill level as an athlete or the experience. For many future employers, "you played X in college" all means the same thing: you must have been really good and you probably have the sort of soft skills common to any high-level athlete (teamwork, resilience, drive, discipline, etc.) I have met more than a few people who assume (rightly or wrongly) that it must be more work to play at an academically demanding D3 than at a less academically demanding D1 because of the school work.

I worked at an investment firm where we'd only hire ex-athletes. Or ex-Marines.
They were viewed similarly.

Nov 15, 2019
You sound like you have a fantastic daughter. Nice job.

I have a general question. I have always felt, if i can't play at D1, then whats the point? I couldn't play any d1 sports, so i just stopped playing, and focused on academics. For me that really paid off.

For people who have played d2/d3, or even parents of those considering it. Whats the draw? Isn't it better to focus on school, play a club team, or set yourself up to train for life (iron mans, 5ks, etc... whatever it is).
My DD's not interested in playing D1. She wants to continue to play the game she loves but also wants to have the time to really concentrate on academics, and D3s seem to do a nice job of offering a little more balance. Intramurals and clubs generally don't have the competition level that she's looking for.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
thanks all for your thoughtful responses.

i didn't realize that sports could help increase the chances of admissions at d2/d3. I've been told that the those schools admit students first, then allow them to make it on the team. i've always been told, that certain schools that my kids dream of going to, don't offer any money for sports.

thanks for changing my view on this.
Where are you getting your information? This may be true for some schools, but uh no it doesn't work like that.

What schools are in this group in bold? If we know what schools, then we can speak as to what these schools can/can't/will/will not offer with regards to monies.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Many D3 schools are more prestigious academically than many D1's. I went to a mid major D1 university and my degree...meh. I am proud that I worked hard (Best 6 years of my life) to earn it. But I wanted something more academically prestigious for my DD...since is more academically inclined than myself. Oh...many D3 softball programs can beat up on the bottom 1/4 of D1 programs. Same goes for D2's.

Look at UT Tyler. Former D3 Champion. First year in D2 and Massey Ratings has them ranked #2. https://masseyratings.com/csoft2021/ncaa-d2/ratings Pretty Salty!

Apr 20, 2015
What criteria are you all using to assume that D3 is automatically more academic than D1? Last time I checked Purdue wasn't so shabby in engineering, IU has a pretty good business school, Illinois isn't easy to get into, Maryland has a great business school, I graduated from Missouri and am doing fine. Lots of well off grads from Auburn, TN, VA tech, Louisville etc. D3 schools can be insanely expensive if you don't qualify for financial aid so I'm trying to really look at return on investment

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Don’t think anyone is saying D3 is automatically more academic than D1 - but many of them are. There is a lot that factors into that - just look at the type of academic qualifications a HS kid needs to have to get into the various different schools (just like comparing Ivies to other schools). You can tell a lot by looking at the average GPA, test scores, and admissions rates at colleges. Look at where kids from colleges go to grad school, gain internships or employment post undergraduate. I think you will see certain tendencies from specific schools.

It’s not a knock on D1 schools - and yes, many have amazing programs and academics. Just like you can’t deny that P5 schools will just be superior softball-wise, you just can’t deny that many D3 programs are academically superior.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
People need to understand that many of the high academic D3 programs do not offer any merit money because most of the kids that go to those schools all have very similar academic qualifications. That’s why many of them don’t have honors colleges, either.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What criteria are you all using to assume that D3 is automatically more academic than D1? Last time I checked Purdue wasn't so shabby in engineering, IU has a pretty good business school, Illinois isn't easy to get into, Maryland has a great business school, I graduated from Missouri and am doing fine. Lots of well off grads from Auburn, TN, VA tech, Louisville etc. D3 schools can be insanely expensive if you don't qualify for financial aid so I'm trying to really look at return on investment

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
But can you pursue an engineering degree AND play softball? Or might the coach see the two goals (softball and engineering) as conflicting and look elsewhere or try to talk the player into a less taxing major?

May 27, 2013
My advice always is to check the NPC at all the schools your dd is looking at. You would be surprised at how comparable the FA from one of those D3 schools might be to an in-state flagship school as some have huge endowments which lends to big FA awards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee