Advice needed for 2022 recruit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2017
Just wanted to give an update here, as well as say thanks to everyone that replied. The panic was definitely unwarranted, and while we may have been able to make decisions that would have made the process a little smoother, it all worked out. She was offered by her two top choices based on her major, one D2, and one D3. She ended up committing to the D3 as it was much higher end academically, and just a better match overall. The academic money from the D3 also surpassed any combined package the D2 could put together. We are relieved to be done with the process, and excited for the future.

Just in case anyone else reads this that are in a similar situation, the determining factor was getting in front of the coaches. Attending and perforning well at the D2 camp put her on their radar, then subbing in a showcase tournament where she had an outstanding weekend sealed the deal. For the D3, the showcase along with video highlights were enough for an offer once they knew she was interested. The lack of interest from the D3 prior was apparently due to the coach getting married and an email address change that wasn't updated on the website. It took a follow of the coach on Twitter to let her know she was interested, and tagging her on video highlights from the showcase. From there, it was scheduling a visit and getting the offer. We definitely didn't use social media to our advantage until late. I would also advise Twitter direct messages or texts over email after first contact is made, as the responses were much quicker. Again, thanks to everyone for your input.

Nov 5, 2021
My daughter, in her junior year of high school, hit .590 with 11HR, 50RBI, broke almost all school records, and was honorable mention all-state. She is also high academic, 4.0, #1 class rank, 32 ACT. We mistakenly thought these things would make getting recruited at D2 and D3 type schools fairly easy.

You sound like you have a fantastic daughter. Nice job.

I have a general question. I have always felt, if i can't play at D1, then whats the point? I couldn't play any d1 sports, so i just stopped playing, and focused on academics. For me that really paid off.

For people who have played d2/d3, or even parents of those considering it. Whats the draw? Isn't it better to focus on school, play a club team, or set yourself up to train for life (iron mans, 5ks, etc... whatever it is).

If my daughter did as well as your daughter, my focus would be to get her into the best school possible, then have her try to walk on. Sounds like with those stats, she'd be able to fight her way up like Tom Brady.

Not trying to stir up controversy, just really curious if my mind set is wrong.

Apr 20, 2015

I have a general question. I have always felt, if i can't play at D1, then whats the point? I couldn't play any d1 sports, so i just stopped playing, and focused on academics. For me that really paid off.

For people who have played d2/d3, or even parents of those considering it. Whats the draw? Isn't it better to focus on school, play a club team, or set yourself up to train for life (iron mans, 5ks, etc... whatever it is).

If my daughter did as well as your daughter, my focus would be to get her into the best school possible, then have her try to walk on. Sounds like with those stats, she'd be able to fight her way up like Tom Brady.

I think its about doing what you love for 4 more years. I did what you did and although I have a great life I would have really enjoyed another 4 years with the sport I loved. Club and intramural and all the yrs I played rec adult just weren't the same. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013

For my dd, playing softball and being recruited at the D3 level helped her to get into one of the top LACs in the country. Would she have made it in with her academics alone? Not sure - a 14% acceptance rate is a gamble, even for the highest academic kids. She will now have doors opened for her that she might not have if she didn’t decide to play D3 and go through the recruiting process. She also was recruited by a couple of D1 programs but academically they were not what she wanted, and softball-wise they were on the lower end of D1 programs. At the D3 level her team will be competitive and will have a decent shot at making it to the NCAA tournament. Best of both worlds for her.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"I have a general question. I have always felt, if i can't play at D1, then whats the point?"

The point is being in a discipline/routine/structure/competing. Being part of a team and all the relationships that come with that. Being involved in an activity you are good at and enjoy. Less idle time. Less party time. Less tic toc. I have heard many athletes get better grades during their athletic season than out of season.

Jun 27, 2018
"I have a general question. I have always felt, if i can't play at D1, then whats the point?"

The point is being in a discipline/routine/structure/competing. Being part of a team and all the relationships that come with that. Being involved in an activity you are good at and enjoy. Less idle time. Less party time. Less tic toc. I have heard many athletes get better grades during their athletic season than out of season.

This pretty much sums it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2021
For my dd, playing softball and being recruited at the D3 level helped her to get into one of the top LACs in the country. Would she have made it in with her academics alone? Not sure - a 14% acceptance rate is a gamble, even for the highest academic kids. She will now have doors opened for her that she might not have if she didn’t decide to play D3 and go through the recruiting process. She also was recruited by a couple of D1 programs but academically they were not what she wanted, and softball-wise they were on the lower end of D1 programs. At the D3 level her team will be competitive and will have a decent shot at making it to the NCAA tournament. Best of both worlds for her.
thanks all for your thoughtful responses.

i didn't realize that sports could help increase the chances of admissions at d2/d3. I've been told that the those schools admit students first, then allow them to make it on the team. i've always been told, that certain schools that my kids dream of going to, don't offer any money for sports.

thanks for changing my view on this.

May 27, 2013
thanks all for your thoughtful responses.

i didn't realize that sports could help increase the chances of admissions at d2/d3. I've been told that the those schools admit students first, then allow them to make it on the team. i've always been told, that certain schools that my kids dream of going to, don't offer any money for sports.

thanks for changing my view on this.

Some schools will grant “slots” or “tips” for recruited athletes, meaning they get a certain amount of coach support through the admissions process depending on where they fall on the coaches’ recruit list. The deal being they typically need to apply Early Decision to that particular school. Now, don’t get me wrong - these athletes still need to be high academic kids - but it can be what helps get a student in if they are on the lower 25% side of the typical accepted student ACT/SAT/GPA factors. Many of these schools only grant need-based financial aid but some do grant merit awards based on academics.

Long gone are the days when an athlete could just “walk on” a D3 team. While some schools may still be like that, many have a list of recruits they are following, and work off of that list.

Mar 22, 2010

I agree with a lot of the above. One dd out of D3 - another currently playing. It is true that for some D3 (MIT for example) you need to get in the school based on academics alone but for many NESCAC and similar, being recruited for softball can help you get into the school even though you may be unlikely to get academic money. In addition, having a sport on your resume goes a long way when you are looking for a job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802