Physical Fitness Test

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
15+ pullups is really good for any human, male or female. That is pretty impressive to me. I would feel confident saying that less than 1% of females can do 15 pullups.

As is a 5:15 mile. I can confidently say that less than 1% of D1 baseball men can run a 5:15 mile. A softball player who runs a 5:15 mile would be an extreme outlier.

Jan 20, 2023
How many pull ups?
My guess is half of the top 10 pitchers in the country could not run a 7 minute mile or do more than 2 pull ups.

I would assume most pitchers could do more than 2 pull ups. My 14yo was doing scap strengthening in her pitching lesson yesterday and can do 2. I would think most top pitchers could do at least 10. Those kids are athletes and that strength metric is related to what they do.

I would think any good strength program would focus on back strength to help keep them healthy.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
3 was the fewest pull-ups on the team board with several 15+.
8 minutes is the maximum allowed mile time to be on the roster but several girls had 5:15 -5:59.
This team is built for speed -- definitely one of the quickest teams in the country. So lots of 20 yd timings too.

I know for sure that the top HS pitcher in the country can run a 6:30 mile.

Hmm...just looking at recent OU national championship rosters, I can imagine several who would likely fall short of those benchmarks. That includes some of their starters. Likely, only a handful would be in the neighborhood of those bests. 15+ pullups and a sub-6:00 mile takes a specific body type and training focus, especially for a female. Heck, even the Marines give max PFT points to a female age 17-20 who can do seven pull-ups and maintain a 7-minute mile. While there are exceptions, that body type...smaller and leaner...definitely has a place on the ballfield, but doesn't typically hit or pitch with the same power that bigger girls are able to bring.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022
As is a 5:15 mile. I can confidently say that less than 1% of D1 baseball men can run a 5:15 mile. A softball player who runs a 5:15 mile would be an extreme outlier.
I agree. That would be a superb time for a track star girl runner. I'm guessing something is fishy in that time. Plus, 15 full, legit pull ups would be pretty rare as well. Maybe for a full fitness trainer.

Nov 19, 2020
That would be a superb time for a track star girl runner. I'm guessing something is fishy in that time.
D1 recruiting standards for a woman running the mile are 4:32 - 5:02.
This girl who ran a 5:15 was Conference Player of the Year, listed a top 15 player in the country, and ran hundreds of miles in the offseason. (My daughter has talked to her extensively about how she worked to get in shape). Do not take away from her efforts.

Sep 21, 2022
D1 recruiting standards for a woman running the mile are 4:32 - 5:02.
This girl who ran a 5:15 was Conference Player of the Year, listed a top 15 player in the country, and ran hundreds of miles in the offseason. (My daughter has talked to her extensively about how she worked to get in shape). Do not take away from her efforts.
I'm sorry but that is not correct. There is just no way any standard mile for any women's athlete would have a low range of 4:32 seconds. That would be a state record in most states. A 4;30 mile would likely qualify for the Olympics. So D1 college programs are looking for slightly less than Olympic caliber runners? I'm not taking away from her efforts, but can you see how that seems unlikely?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I'm sorry but that is not correct. There is just no way any standard mile for any women's athlete would have a low range of 4:32 seconds. That would be a state record in most states. A 4;30 mile would likely qualify for the Olympics. So D1 college programs are looking for slightly less than Olympic caliber runners? I'm not taking away from her efforts, but can you see how that seems unlikely?

He's likely referring to D1 1600 women's distance running standard.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Woohoo Hahaaa
i remember physical fitness test 😁70's in Elementary school

Pull ups
Push ups
Short sprint
Mile run
Sit ups

Haahaaa now
Can do pull up
Can do push up