Advice needed for 2022 recruit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2017
I’ll give a little background, but will try to be brief. I know this problem is of our own making. My daughter is a 2022 without a current (usable) college offer. We now know the main issue is not playing for a travel program that is considered high end, or is well known in the area. The team she played for in the last 2 years played a mixture of low ‘A’ and high ‘B’ tournaments, and had some very talented girls. They had more than a few wins vs. some of the bigger name programs, but was a standalone team that has now disbanded due to all of the girls but 2 aging out.

My daughter, in her junior year of high school, hit .590 with 11HR, 50RBI, broke almost all school records, and was honorable mention all-state. She is also high academic, 4.0, #1 class rank, 32 ACT. We mistakenly thought these things would make getting recruited at D2 and D3 type schools fairly easy. She has watched girls get offers even from her own high school team who didn’t have near the stats she did vs. the same competition. The work was definitely put in contacting coaches and colleges, attending camps, etc., but it seems like the coaches were only interested in talking to the girls wearing the jerseys of the high end travel squads. When she chose forensics as a major, it took away the few places she knows she could have played at in college.

So my question is this. Now that it is fall of her senior year, is it too late? We do have some camps scheduled and have talked about the walk-on route, but she is losing confidence that it’s going to happen for her. Just looking for some advice from people who had daughters who were possibly late recruits, or made poor choices for travel. And please, no lectures on our decision with travel, as I said, we know we made that mistake. I’ve also linked her recruiting website below. Thanks.

https://ellysoftball.wixsite.com/home

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Has she actually called the coaches of the schools she’s interested in? Sometimes a coach will definitely be impressed by a kid who takes the initiative to reach out via phone vs email. It shows maturity and initiative. Can her HS coach also reach out to these schools a few days before she goes to their camps? Any coach input is better than none! Is she playing this fall? Did she send out her schedule?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ivies and NESCAC don't usually begin extending offers until after first semester senior grades are in. If you can afford those, then I'd be focusing in that direction.

May 27, 2013
Ivies and NESCAC don't usually begin extending offers until after first semester senior grades are in. If you can afford those, then I'd be focusing in that direction.
Not necessarily the case. My dd was offered by the NESCAC she currently attends a few days after July 1 before her senior year, since prereads start on 7/1. The fall of senior year is typically for official visits at the NESCACs although she missed out last fall due to Covid. I’m sure the NESCACs don’t have their full recruiting classes for 2022 filled yet but DD’s school just added 2 more recruits this past week. They want you to apply ED so waiting for 1st semester of senior year grades would be too late.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
My daughter, in her junior year of high school, hit .590 with 11HR, 50RBI, broke almost all school records, and was honorable mention all-state. She is also high academic, 4.0, #1 class rank, 32 ACT. We mistakenly thought these things would make getting recruited at D2 and D3 type schools fairly easy. She has watched girls get offers even from her own high school team who didn’t have near the stats she did vs. the same competition.

That will definitely make getting recruited by a D3 very easy. Around here, D2s are almost completely done by September, but it's worth inquiring.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
ID the schools she wants to attend for academics and location and focus there. Get on the coach's radar and stay there. I've seen some VERY late recruit signings even at the D1 level. Coaches like to think they're done a year prior, but they're dealing with 18 year-olds and anything can happen. Yes, walking on is a viable route, as is playing JUCO for a year or two.

Apr 18, 2017
Has she actually called the coaches of the schools she’s interested in?
The only coaches she has talked to on the phone are at schools that are no longer in the picture due to her choice of major.
Can her HS coach also reach out to these schools a few days before she goes to their camps?
I'll check in with her high school coach. He is only in his 3rd year of coaching, and I don't think quite gets what is involved in the recruiting process. In the summer before her sophomore season (wiped out by covid) I asked if I could put his email address and phone number on things being sent out to colleges, and he seemed like no one had ever asked him that before. We had assumed from the beginning, we weren't going to get much help there.
Is she playing this fall? Did she send out her schedule?
She is playing in a local fall high school league, and is picking up what tournaments she can as a sub (2 scheduled so far) since her travel team folded.

That will definitely make getting recruited by a D3 very easy. Around here, D2s are almost completely done by September, but it's worth inquiring.
Again, this is what we thought. She had recently focused in on a particular D3 that she has gotten no response from in 3 email attempts to both head and assistant coaches since August.

Is there a particular region of the US she’s considering?
We live in Ohio, about 1.5 hours away each from Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus. She really wants to stay within 5 hours or so of home, so that gives us anywhere in Ohio, Western PA, northern West Virginia, northern Kentucky, eastern Indiana, and southern Michigan. To be outside of that area it would really have to be a school and opportunity too good to pass up. A Forensic Science major really narrows the choices.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598