Parents calling out pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Interesting what people feel is an umpire being a "good blue". Getting involved with things not inside the fence line is not being a good blue. Parents or anyone yelling pitch location is not against the rules. So you think the umpire should rule insportsmanlike conduct on a runner on 2nd base giving hand signals for pitch location to the batter?

It is not against the rules, it is not unsportsmanlike conduct and an umpire should not get involved with things going on in the stands unless it crosses the line of being threatening or vulgar. And even then the umpire should not address it themselves, they should get the tournament director to take care of it. The example you just provided of the umpire telling the people to stop using the batting cage, he was going to punish the teams playing for something people not even involved with the teams were doing and should probably not have even been paying attention to in the first place.

It may not be something for the umpire to get involved in, and it may not be against any rules, but to say that it's not unsportsmanlike...... well, let's just say I disagree with you. Personally, I think it blatantly takes away from the game.

Jun 13, 2009
It's amazing to me that nobody has suggested for the catcher to NOT give away the pitches.

There will always be jerks in the game. Always be parents who go above and beyond. Who push their kids to the brink. Who fight in the stands. And be unsportsmanlike.

But why do you think the pitchers on TV are changing their motions? Nearly all of them do a "twist" to hide the ball from the coaches. If you've ever seen Oregon play, you will hear Mike White yelling coded messages to his hitters as he reads the pitchers. I could hear it on TV!! Yes, I know... there's a major difference between 12U games and the college level. But the point is the same, if you want to succeed, you can't give your pitches away. DD's pitching coach always uses the example, the catcher hides this signal from everyone that becomes useless if you don't continue to hide what you're trying to do. DD is taught to aim for the catcher's sides (knees for drop, shoulders for rise) so it doesn't require the catcher to move prematurely and give away the pitches.

CG

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The interesting thing about this dilemma is that it is typically found at levels where the information provided to the hitter rarely results in a competitive advantage. Most pitchers are regularly missing their spots and hitters are not that sophisticated. The only competitive advantage is usually that it gets in the pitchers head, the coach reacts and takes his team out of the game from a mental standpoint.

I think the desired mechanics of the catcher is a given, which is why most umpires will not have a whole bunch of sympathy for a coach carping about the behavior in question. Is it bush league and bad sportsmanship? Absolutely. But if the battery is properly trained the issue is moot. You should not rely on the umpire to fix a problem that you should have taken care of in practice.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
During a HS game this year blue called out a dad who was 'telegraphing' location to batters.
PU politely asked him to stop as he not only was disrespecting the game but also was endangering players.

Under every scenario it is bush league

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Y'all need a DA. Designated A-Hole. :) Have him/her sit with the parents doing this and call them out every time. :)

Really though, the parents are probably doing more harm than good. Hard to process all that info in a split second without losing your focus. Take it as a compliment and a learning opportunity.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I have the exact same pitching, batting, and base running signs for all of the teams I work with. (10U-16U)
A dad who was an asst coach on last years 10U team has moved onto another team. While playing them last week, he sat in the stands bellowing out instructions to his dds new team based on my play calls... what a jerk!
After the first inning we made some new signs. So what used to be a drag bunt was now a swing away. His dd (who plays third) came inches from a trip to the ER because she crashed on what they thought was gonna be a bunt. Ball missed her face by an inch. (She had a rip it on) After that play I turned to him and said "that one was on YOU!!) He got quiet from that point on... Busch league BS almost really hurt his dd.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
I don't have complex signs because if we realize that they are being picked off it is so easy to change them. Additionally, I don't believe that there is much competitive advantage to be gained at the lower levels by picking off signs. I do not respect the parents who do this and I believe they should let the coaches and players play the game without interference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32