Umpire not calling the game by the rules and no protests

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Our rec league runs their season during our high school season and starts their games before high school practice is over. I’ve suggested to them multiple times they should consider a change if they want to get players involved in coaching or umpiring and no dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does your league do Jr Umpires?

Feb 15, 2017
The umps I like are offered bottled water.

The umps I don't like are offered whatever it is the unlicensed street vendors are selling.
For concessions, they typically include Gatorade and water, and if lucky, dill pickles. I'm not much of an eater during games.

I know the Alphabet group I work for does, and others do not.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
LOL his plate meeting would just be ejecting every single fan in lieu of going over the ground rules.

"Coach, are those your team's parents over there?"
"Yes"
"Tell them to get to the F%&$! parking lot."
Can't say I can argue with that. It would be beneficial when your partner wants talk to the fans like they're Sintra at The Sands, minus the cocktail in his or her hand.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
The umps I like are offered bottled water.

The umps I don't like are offered whatever it is the unlicensed street vendors are selling.

@pattar offers them bottled water, too. The manner and style may be different though ...

To be honest, the better food usually comes from the unlicensed vendors ... greasy spoons ... gas stations ...

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
@pattar offers them bottled water, too. The manner and style may be different though ...

"It's not MY fault you can't catch! I was throwing the bottle to you, not at you."

I can't be too hard on pattar here. When I was a kid, I took a hard foul to the face in a basketball scrimmage. She hit me so hard she broke my Horace Grant-style sport goggles. BROKE then. In half. Ref didn't call anything.

As I left the practice/scrimmage because I couldn't see, I may have launched a full bottle of All Sport against a wall. It may have exploded everywhere.

I'm 95% nice and 5% Hulk Rage.

Apr 18, 2023
Let me start off by saying I greatly appreciate umpires and realize that there is a shortage across the nation. Im also one of those that believe while umpires are human, they are the only ones on the field getting paid. In any other professions, if a job is not done correctly there are some sort of repurcussions. Majority of umpires do a fantastic job and do the job with integrity and professionalism. What I'm curious about is from a coaching persepctive, how do you handle an umpire situation in a tournament where there are no protests and they are not calling the game by the rules?

For example: The other team is batting out of order, other coach admits to the umpire that they batted out of order, but the umpire allows them to continue playing. Same inning, other coach has the wrong number on his lead off hitter and only put first names on the line up card so it appears like they were batting out of order again (I didn't catch it the first time through the line up) so I went out again to ask about it. Then there was also a circle violation in which the umpire sent the runner back to 2nd instead of calling them out. When I asked the umpire inbetween innings about why he didn't call the runner out, he told me that it was because I delayed the game with their whole batting out order situation. All of this happened in the same inning. He essentially told me that it was his game to call however he wanted.

We won the game and the call didn't matter but I was a bit put off because this is an All Star tournament and teams had an entire rec season to get free passes.

How do other coaches approach situations with umpires that want to call the game how they want to and not by the rules?
Let me start by saying I am the UIC for a large complex. Please remember that as a coach you have a job to do when questioning these types of plays. If you do not question these actions at the proper time, it's play on.(ex. batting out of order MUST be done before the first pitch to the next batter) Secondly the umpire should never accept an improper lineup card. You may know Jane from Julie but the umpire does not, so last names are a must. Incorrect numbers are a clerical error and in most cases you just fix it.

The only thing that you are allowed to protest is the miss application of a playing rule. Most of the game is judgement by the umpire and you can not protest judgement. Get the UIC involved as early as you can when these things happen, but remember to stay calm. You need something from us so yelling at us and giving us attitude lessens your chances of a good outcome. We are people to so calmly point out the issue. At my complex if the first thing you do is yell at me I give you a chance to calm down and discuss the issue. Failure on the coaches part to be calm means from my part sit down and act like an adult, after all there are kids around. I will not even listen to any situation if I'm being yelled at.

Lastly please let the UIC know. I've let many umpires go because they don't follow the rules and procedures. These umpires do more harm then good. In the long run the UIC/TD will thank you.

Jun 20, 2015
the biggest one that gets most irritated is the "throw it down the pipe" strike zone. The plate with no corners if you will. No body likes that zone.

OR the wandering strike zone. all game a pitch was being called a ball at a location and it is suddenly a strike. WTH? be consistent and most coaches will be quiet.

Choosing to write or create your own rules as an umpire is never going to fly or be tolerated. Had one once where ump ruled a hit was a ground rule triple..... yeah coaches got tossed on that one. Or the one where the ump said player's feet were in fair territory therefore it was a fair ball.... I barely avoided the gate on that one.

Oh. and the next time I hear "she's not getting an advantage (by breaking a rule), therefore i'm not calling it.... " I've got protest fee in my pocket ready and waiting for that clown. You just admitted to knowingly allowing a player to break rules and not enforcing them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478