Coach, you NEED to work on this (TMIB's Points of Emphasis)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
I would add in,
Respect the umpires.
Respect your opponent.
Respect the game.
I think these are challenges for coaches because most of the time it is the parents that have these issues. Then you wonder why kids lack respect.

Jan 25, 2022
The thing is... this shouldn't need to be taught. I still don't understand how bat slinging even happens. Nobody ever taught us how to not let the bat fly out of your hands when I was a kid, and I can't remember it happening more than once or twice.

We do talk about it, and if a particular player has a problem with it we'll make her work on it, but this is one of those things where I sometimes think, you know what, if you can't figure this out, then maybe go play another sport.

We had a first year 8th grader lose hold of hers on a miss. It flew in the air just beside the pitcher, and landed at the back of the circle. It was dead silent as everyone just watched, mesmerized, as it rolled all the way to 2B. The ump must have felt bad for her because she didn't call her out.

That kid just finished up her 10th grade year and we still remind her of it often.

Jun 8, 2016
We had a first year 8th grader lose hold of hers on a miss. It flew in the air just beside the pitcher, and landed at the back of the circle. It was dead silent as everyone just watched, mesmerized, as it rolled all the way to 2B. The ump must have felt bad for her because she didn't call her out.

That kid just finished up her 10th grade year and we still remind her of it often.
That happens in MLB..often the bat flies into the stands.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
I agree with everything you have recommended. Especially calling strikes as the rule book is written. Forcing pitchers to throw the ball down the middle third of the plate is nuts. Some of these strike zones are ridiculously small!!! Also, umpires, don't be scared to call a changeup for a strike. I don't understand what is so confusing about this pitch, the strike zone does not change because a pitcher throws a changeup. These bats a so damn hot, routine pop up are going over fences very frequently.
For every one time I've thought a strike zone was too small, there are 99 times I've thought it was too big. I've certainly never seen a game where the ball was only a strike if it crosses the middle third of the plate.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I would add in,
Respect the umpires.
Respect your opponent.
Respect the game.
I think these are challenges for coaches because most of the time it is the parents that have these issues. Then you wonder why kids lack respect.

There are so many parents (and coaches now) who never played, that they don’t know what to respect.

Had a coach ask me about a rule this weekend, then say “sorry, I didn’t grow up playing so I don’t know all this stuff” and all I could think was 1) holy crow, 12 other adults agreed to give somebody $2,000 (or something) to have you teach these girls and 2) that explains a lot.

Even things like “please” and “thank you” (what’s the count, please?”, “ok, thanks”) are getting rare.

Apr 14, 2022
For every one time I've thought a strike zone was too small, there are 99 times I've thought it was too big. I've certainly never seen a game where the ball was only a strike if it crosses the middle third of the plate.
Tell me what tournaments DD will want to pitch at them. Lol
The rule strike zone for softball is huge. Any part of the ball over the plate top of knees to armpit. The ball is 3.76” in diameter.
Very rarely see a strike called on a ball centered with the bellybutton. By rule the zone is 6-8” higher.
What I typically see is giving 2-3 inches low a strike ( bottom of knee) to bottom of ball at the waste. Width I see center of the ball has to be over plate.
I think the zone is too big but by rule it is almost any pitch that completely disappears at the shoulder and completely inside the lines.

Attachments

• 5C9BD19E-1BB1-4C63-8B08-DB68F60D8113.png
    5C9BD19E-1BB1-4C63-8B08-DB68F60D8113.png
    389.4 KB · Views: 18
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
There are so many parents (and coaches now) who never played, that they don’t know what to respect.

Had a coach ask me about a rule this weekend, then say “sorry, I didn’t grow up playing so I don’t know all this stuff” and all I could think was 1) holy crow, 12 other adults agreed to give somebody $2,000 (or something) to have you teach these girls and 2) that explains a lot.

Even things like “please” and “thank you” (what’s the count, please?”, “ok, thanks”) are getting rare.

What was the rule?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee