Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Do you think this would be called illegal in international play? I think the gym step would be called but not the leap/crow hop.

I believe that this is right on the line of what could be called crow hopping. If this gets called illegal now, I bet it will not be called illegal in another year or two.

Regardless, Powerhouse pitching will be making some cash teaching this style as it dances on the edge of being legal.

Would be interesting to have someone with pressure/force plates measure if this style is actually putting more pressure on the lead leg (glove side leg) compared to non-leaping pitchers.

Feb 15, 2017
Do you think this would be called illegal in international play? I think the gym step would be called but not the leap/crow hop.

I believe that this is right on the line of what could be called crow hopping. If this gets called illegal now, I bet it will not be called illegal in another year or two.

Regardless, Powerhouse pitching will be making some cash teaching this style as it dances on the edge of being legal.

Would be interesting to have someone with pressure/force plates measure if this style is actually putting more pressure on the lead leg (glove side leg) compared to non-leaping pitchers.
There is no physical way to replant and not push off again...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
If it’s not then they are likely not gaining anything other than releasing from a closer distance (unless they are able increase the arm circle speed via the leap)

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Do you think this is a push off? Do you think umps are going to call this a push off? Does international play allow this already?
375986379_796926172433371_379300974793655270_n.jpg

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
If it’s not then they are likely not gaining anything other than releasing from a closer distance (unless they are able increase the arm circle speed via the leap)
IF we assume that they are not gaining any speed they are without a doubt gaining a change timing. The Change will be hard for hitters to adjust to in the short term.

Jun 8, 2016
IF we assume that they are not gaining any speed they are without a doubt gaining a change timing. The Change will be hard for hitters to adjust to in the short term.
In baseball hitters see different deliveries,arm slots, etc from almost every pitcher and they are able to make the adjustments. In softball the ball is still being released in front of you at least..no “Randy Johnson releasing the ball behind your head” going on. It will probably take some time though, I agree.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
If you're not hoping to get an additional push why would you ever teach these mechanics? To get an additional push.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Money would be the number one reason I would be teaching (If I was the teacher) this method. The number of people that are qualified (whatever that means in fastpitch) to teach this way is very limited. Truely Japan / International players must have the most relevant pitchers to this set of rules. If they are doing some form of leaping, I would bet they have studied the mechanics to understand its potential benefits.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
In baseball hitters see different deliveries,arm slots, etc from almost every pitcher and they are able to make the adjustments. In softball the ball is still being released in front of you at least..no “Randy Johnson releasing the ball behind your head” going on. It will probably take some time though, I agree.
Also, another slight consideration might be base running. Base runners not starting until the ball leaves the pitchers hand there most likely will be slight difference between leapers and non-leapers. Leapers have a slower arm circle at the start of the pitch until the ball is at 12o'clock compared to non-leapers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid