A Pawn in Game of Life

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Posting this without reading all five pages, but "You have to play for X travel team or I won't put you on varsity" is not OK. It doesn't even matter what team is best for her or whatever. He's using his position of power to essentially threaten her into doing something.

This is a lot different than saying "I think this other travel team would help you develop the skills needed to make our varsity team,"

I almost never would say this, but go to the AD immediately. Go above the AD if the AD does nothing. I can't imagine the coach making a statement like this would go over well with any state association, but I'm sure some are the Wild West compared to mine.

Jul 14, 2018
This is a lot different than saying "I think this other travel team would help you develop the skills needed to make our varsity team,"

That is pretty close to what he actually said, but the implication is clear when combined with the disparaging remarks made about her current team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That is pretty close to what he actually said, but the implication is clear when combined with the disparaging remarks made about her current team.

Hmm...

So I know a decent number of the travel teams around here, at least the ones that play at a level where our girls can compete. There are some coaches I would advise my girls to not play for. There are other coaches I'd recommend for a while, but I'd also suggest they leave when I think they've outgrown that team.

Now, I'm in a position where any girl who's a travel player is going to be a varsity player as a Freshman, so I can't put myself in that exact position, but I don't think it's unreasonable for a coach to suggest that playing for another team will benefit the player w/r/t making varsity as long as that coach doesn't hold it against her if she doesn't take the advice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse