Is one way communication to catchers approved for softball in NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
I can find where it was approved for baseball and someone told me it is ok for softball but I am having a hard time finding any update to that rule for softball. Does anyone know for sure if it is allowed now? It would seem odd it would be allowed for baseball and not softball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
There is a mention of dugout receiving electronic communication from outside the dugout, but can’t find anything about communication with the catcher.

May 13, 2023
Hmmm 🤔 seems there has always been communication to the catcher.
Simply now with the technology to be able to do it through a microphone and earpiece seems like would just be natural course of evolution.

What I would be considering more is how much added chatterboxing the coach might do chewing away at the catcher's ear...the unnecessary yada yada. 🤷‍♀️ rather than having to say something out loud which may have filtering because everyone would hear it.
directly to the catcher, without other ears hearing it, they may say more 🤷‍♀️

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can imagine the catcher being frustrated listening to two coach argue about what pitch to throw next when she already knows the answer. Pitcher has to throw pitches every 20 seconds. I wish they would change that to 15 seconds and enforce the rule.

Nov 9, 2021
There is a mention of dugout receiving electronic communication from outside the dugout, but can’t find anything about communication with the catcher.

That is what I could find also. Just surprised they would change baseball and possibly not softball.

Nov 9, 2021
Hmmm seems there has always been communication to the catcher.
Simply now with the technology to be able to do it through a microphone and earpiece seems like would just be natural course of evolution.

What I would be considering more is how much added chatterboxing the coach might do chewing away at the catcher's ear...the unnecessary yada yada. rather than having to say something out loud which may have filtering because everyone would hear it.
directly to the catcher, without other ears hearing it, they may say more

For sure. I would think a device that requires you to push a button to talk to the catcher would be much more preferred. An open line to the catcher sounds like a recipe to drive a catcher insane.

May 13, 2023
Can imagine the catcher being frustrated listening to two coach argue about what pitch to throw next
Haahaaa lol
Catcher to coach~ 'Coach could you please hit the mute button in between your selections...'

Hey how about adding recording
so we can review the pitch calling sequence of events!!!
...ya know these moments...
what was called on that 0-2 count...

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Not approved in NFHS softball. Though overseen by NFHS, baseball and softball are two different sports with two different rules committees. While it makes sense for them to synch up, they often do not.

The way the policy/rule is written in baseball (to address equity issues), will be a trainwreck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles