A Pawn in Game of Life

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
DD’s HS coach requested a meeting with me a few days ago. She’s a 16U RHP, decent player. She’s on varsity, but has been playing almost exclusively with JV.

He informed me that DD’s travel ball team is not competitive enough, and that he has secured her a spot on his preferred travel team. She will not see time on varsity if she stays with her current team.

The thing is, there is some long-standing animosity between HS coach and TB coach, I can’t shake the feeling that HS coach is trying to blow up TB coach’s team. That would leave a number of DD’s HS teammates scrambling to find new teams. Damned if she stays, damned if she leaves.

I have been looking forward to HS ball since DD started playing with her core group since she was eight. I could not have imagined it would be this ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What an arrogant a$$821e. I bet they even think they are 'doing you a favor'

Tough situation and I am not sure there is a real 'win' here.

I would like to think that if I was in a similar situation I would tell the coach "Thank you coach, but my DD and our family will decide what travel team she wants to play on/has already made a commitment to/whatever. If playing for your preferred team is required to get on the field for HS varsity, then that is your decision, however it does feel unfair to her and others who may be in this situation, that no matter how good of a player they are or may become has no bearing on playing. <<It will also be something that I will be discussing with the AD and also the state association.>>"

But I also know that is a very difficult thing to say when all your kid probably wants to do is play and not rock the boat.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
But I also know that is a very difficult thing to say when all your kid probably wants to do is play and not rock the boat.

Yeah, I didn’t respond at all, just said ‘Thanks coach’ and walked away.

There are five girls from her TB team on varsity, but DD is the only one (that I know of) being given an ultimatum because, I assume, HS coach knows that losing one of three pitchers would sink the team.

Nov 18, 2013
I guess I’d like further info before judging. If it’s the same core group from 8U/10U sounds like a local or rec level team and the HS coach could be right. If current team is made up of girls from several high schools, how many are varsity players? Is HS coach requiring her to play on the new team to play on varsity or was it just presented as an option?

I’ve seen these things go both ways of coaches being manipulative and others where they were well meaning, but it wasn’t received well.

Jan 25, 2022
I guess I’d like further info before judging. If it’s the same core group from 8U/10U sounds like a local or rec level team and the HS coach could be right. If current team is made up of girls from several high schools, how many are varsity players? Is HS coach requiring her to play on the new team to play on varsity or was it just presented as an option?

I’ve seen these things go both ways of coaches being manipulative and others where they were well meaning, but it wasn’t received well.

I had to read it a few times to follow, but what I'm understanding is that he was flat out told she'll get no varsity time if she doesn't switch to the new travel team. I can't see that as anything other than malicious because HC has no way to predict if she'll be up to his varsity standards and by what methods she would get there. I think I would have just flat-out asked if it had anything to do with the TC then let her decide.

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks, everyone, for the thoughtful replies. It’s entirely possible that HS coach thinks he’s doing the right thing, that his preferred TB team is better coached and has better players. Just two things kinda stick in my craw:

1. The aforementioned animosity that I know exists between the two coaches.

2. If HS coach really thinks DD is deficient, why would he go out of his way to secure her a spot on a higher-level showcase team? He won’t give her the ball in a HS game.

I did mention that five of her varsity teammates are on her TB team, which I understand makes it sound like a town travel team. But the other eight all play varsity at other schools. The ‘preferred’ team has a similar makeup: four girls from one HS and seven mixed from other schools. That’s just the way teams tend to come together in our area.

Coaching may be a bit of a wildcard. I’ve had my own differences with current TB coach, don’t really know the other coach. But DD has been going to a top Tincher-certified pitching coach for seven years, she and I completed the Paulie Girl online courses through intermediate together this winter, and every coach in question is an old baseball guy. None of them will help her one iota as a pitcher.

Jun 8, 2016
Forgot about the animosity. That is irrelevant.

1) what does your DD want to do?

2) does the other team provide a better opportunity that is feasible for you as a family.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478