Have they changed the rules on rolling bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Maybe the guru's from the hitting threads can chime in, but don't associations now roll the bats before testing anyway? To prove that even at their peak performance they won't be above the 98mph?

Yes...the process is known as ABI, for Accelerated Break In. Commonly referred to as Bat Rolling.

The ASA testing process uses this so that the bats are tested as if they have been used and "broken in".

May 17, 2012
That said, bat manufacturers changed their processes so the bats are as hot "out of the wrapper" as they will ever be, thus eliminating any performance enhancement from rolling.

1. That is marketing BS. It doesn't even make sense.
2. Rolling your bat is not the same as breaking it in by hitting 300 balls (there is some fantastic research on this subject).
3. Altering your bat is cheating and can get you banned from most Associations.

If one of your batters hits a line drive that injures another player they will/should confiscate your bat. If testing can prove that you modified your bat (rolled/shaved/etc.) you will be banned and probably sued.

The bats are hot enough, stay away from the nonsense of altering your bat.

You are also liable if you buy a used bat that someone already altered (or if you use a friends bat). It doesn't matter if you knew that bat was altered or not.

Hope that helps.

Mar 26, 2013
But be advised, there are many bats on the market that will get instant spiraling around the barrel if you do it.
Is this a feature that was designed into the bats (e.g. Clarity) or just an unintented byproduct of the way those bats are constructed? What are some of the models?

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
If one of your batters hits a line drive that injures another player they will/should confiscate your bat. If testing can prove that you modified your bat (rolled/shaved/etc.) you will be banned and probably sued.

Why should they confiscate your bat because a player was injured? If there is no clear evidence based on field tests then all is good in my book. I'm obviously not condoning cheating but I think that is a little overboard. No one wants anyone to get hurt either.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Is this a feature that was designed into the bats (e.g. Clarity) or just an unintented byproduct of the way those bats are constructed? What are some of the models?

The Clear and Reveal werent made to spiral...they were made with some type of design that the lines on the barrel would disappear or go "clear" if they feel it exceeded the amount. Thus rolling or shaving would make the lines disappear very quickly after use. Btw, this was a disaster for Easton sales wise and you could guess why...haha. The spiraling I am talking about, is the bat will look like its coming unraveled or peeling. It was done to curb rolling and shaving.

I havent done a ton of research on FP models...I know more SP bats. I would not roll any new USSSA stamped bat and I tell my customers that whatever they do to the bat, is not my responsiblilty if they ask about rolling them. I have seen some ASA models do the same.

May 17, 2012
Why should they confiscate your bat because a player was injured? If there is no clear evidence based on field tests then all is good in my book. I'm obviously not condoning cheating but I think that is a little overboard. No one wants anyone to get hurt either.

Because per NSA rules if you don't allow them to take your bat for testing it's an automatic 5 year suspension from NSA. If your bat has not been altered they give it back to you. If NSA decides your bat *may* have been altered they send it to the manufacturer for final verification.

If they deem it was altered the suspension is between 2 and 5 years if I recall.

Per NSA rulebook (remember this the next time your DD borrows someones bat):

The responsibility for knowing whether a bat or ball is altered is that of the user and/or the owner of the bat or ball. If an individual uses a bat or ball in NSA play or is the owner of a bat or ball that is brought into an NSA game or facility, the suspensions will be imposed without regard to what the individual knew about the bat or ball being altered. ―An individual must know that his/her bat or ball is not an altered bat or ball, if he/she brings either into an NSA facility or game. If not, the individual can be suspended from any and all NSA activities. The fact that the individual did not know that the bat or ball was altered is not a factor in imposing the suspension. The question is only whether the bat or ball is altered or not.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Ok. That is all well and good but what does that have to do with someone that gets hit by a line drive or hit by a batted ball in general?

That is also BS about not knowing if it was altered or not. If I buy a bat from a retailer that has been altered, I would have absolutely no idea. Such a stupid rule in that regard.

Who deems when a bat should be checked? If it is the coach then every hard hit ball is going to be challenged by me so the other team is left with no bats....even if it is new out of the wrapper because it could have been tampered with and the person not know it. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
The Clear and Reveal werent made to spiral...they were made with some type of design that the lines on the barrel would disappear or go "clear" if they feel it exceeded the amount. Thus rolling or shaving would make the lines disappear very quickly after use. Btw, this was a disaster for Easton sales wise and you could guess why...haha. The spiraling I am talking about, is the bat will look like its coming unraveled or peeling. It was done to curb rolling and shaving.

I havent done a ton of research on FP models...I know more SP bats. I would not roll any new USSSA stamped bat and I tell my customers that whatever they do to the bat, is not my responsiblilty if they ask about rolling them. I have seen some ASA models do the same.
Thanks.
Note: I only referenced the Clarity as an example of a bat that was designed to show signs of being altered, not of one that spiraled.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'll ask a silly question. Who has the authority to take the bat from the player and who can "start" that process? Let's say ( theoretically ) team A has a girl pounding the ball all weekend. Champ game rolls around and I ask my girls to "take one for the team" if that girl hits one to ya. I approach the blue and demand that bat be taken for testing. Who makes that call and what happens if they don't comply with my request?

A rule like that could really stir the pot and get into some batter's heads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle