DH/Flex in Lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
In VA USSSA play, there's unlimited defensive substitution, so there's rarely need for a DP/FLEX, unless it's a super-regional (or whatever that designation is). Other states may be similar, which is why you don't see it as often in TB, It can definitely be intimidating - the HC and I have spent hours going through multiple scenarios to make sure DP/FLEX is what we want to use for each upcoming game.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
The actual pitcher listed on the lineup sheet never came in at all for our game last nite. The pitcher listed on the lineup sheet in another game did eventually come in and pitch. And the DP went back to just a normal DP. The original pitcher who had been listed as flex never hit.
I assume our coach is getting these changes told to her so if she's not worried, I'm not. But just an odd thing to do.
When I score TB games it's really rare to even see this and if you do, the listed flex pitcher actually pitches.
We used DP/flex a fair bit last year in HS but it was never the pitcher who flexed since they normally are also good hitters.

The FLEX never has to hit, but she does have to play defense or she has left the game ... And THAT must be reported to the Umpire ... The DP can play defense for anyone else on the field and they continue to bat in their normal position in the order ... But at this time the Umpire (and Coach) should verify that the FLEX player is still on the field playing defense.

If you have blood in the game, I would ask to speak to the coach and tell her what you discovered ... In the case that I had described where you would need to let the ball become live before having the CR cited for Illegal Substitute, she needs to act quick and may want her pitcher to throw a ball ... OR, she may want to roll the dice and hope for a double play, in which case she says nothing if the CR hadn't scored. MY guess is your coach does not understand the DP/FLEX ... 3-3-6 a through g

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Update - apparently the coach is telling the umps that he is going to be using the DP to pitch initially. He has it setup this way to allow for the DP/Flex option later on. I guess so he can use the DP to continue hitting when they bring another pitcher in?

It doesn't matter what the coach is telling the Ump, what matters is what is on the line up card at the home plate meeting (for the 1st inning in the OP case) and through out the game there after ... If it ain't on the line up card, it didn't happen. So, they can have the FLEX there, and right in the home plate meeting, the Umpire will usually say after examining the cards and handing them around for approval "Are there any changes?" At that point the coach can give his change that the DP will be playing defense for the FLEX (F1) and the FLEX has left the game and may re-enter 1 time. The game can end with 9 or 10, doesn't matter.

Oct 11, 2018
Some incorrect info here. The DP should be listed as a batter in one of the first 9 positions and there is no need to announce her. The CR can not run for the DP unless the DP is F2 (which was not stated) and the OP said they CR'd for the pitcher, who was the FLEX ... So presumably the FLEX went in for the DP on offence and was given a CR (which does need to be announced).
The OP said the DH (DP) got on, not the the Flex who was listed as the pitcher. So I am not presuming the FLEX actually batted.

Oct 11, 2018
First and foremost ... The terminology is "DP" not "DH" ... Different things and it should be listed on the line up cards and be announced at the home plate meeting that they are using the DP / Flex.

The player listed on the line up card as a pitcher (or catcher) in the top of the first inning is the pitcher or catcher. Afterwards the pitcher / catcher must face a batter on defense and then they are the person occupying that position.

Here in your scenario what is happening if they are doing it legally: DP (who is listed in one of the first 9 positions on the line up card) bats and gets on base. THEN, they put the FLEX (who is listed 10th) in for the DP, DP has left the game and may re-enter one time. Now the FLEX (pitcher) is replaced by a CR but still in the game. When you came up to bat, at some point they put the DP back in the game to play defense for the FLEX, now the FLEX has left the game and may re enter one time.

If I were you, I would tell the coach of your team to give you all the changes that they get by courier or yelling them to the press box. If your coach is not getting these changes, they should be.
If the DP is the one who actually bats, then they remove the DP and put the FLEX (listed as the pitcher) on base, the offense IS NOT allowed a CR for the FLEX because even though the FLEX is the Pitcher, the FLEX did not earn her way on base. So no CR in this situation.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Update - apparently the coach is telling the umps that he is going to be using the DP to pitch initially. He has it setup this way to allow for the DP/Flex option later on. I guess so he can use the DP to continue hitting when they bring another pitcher in?

Exactly. While I can't say I saw it in HS, I've seen it in college. It allows a P who is also a good hitter to stay in the batting lineup after being replaced in the circle later in the game. However, the CR issue isn't a thing in college.

May 29, 2015
If the DP is the one who actually bats, then they remove the DP and put the FLEX (listed as the pitcher) on base, the offense IS NOT allowed a CR for the FLEX because even though the FLEX is the Pitcher, the FLEX did not earn her way on base. So no CR in this situation.
^THAT.

Can we eliminate courtesy runners now?

May 27, 2022
Our HS had a senior pitcher and 2 freshmen pitchers. The senior is a good hitter, but not always able to pitch 7 innings. The freshmen are not good hitters but can pitch if/when needed.

Our coach would make the line up card with the Senior as DP and the freshman as Flex (F1).

At the end of the coaches meeting, after lineups were approved, she would inform the umpire and other coach that the DP was going to pitch. (Flex is removed from the game) CR is now available for the DP who is now pitching.

When needed, the Freshman can re-enter to pitch (Flex) and the senior can continue to hit. (DP without CR available)
- When a flex is used, the roster can go from 10 to 9 to 10 players in this situation

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13